• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another thread...this time on forgetting litter training??

jasmee91

New Kit
Hi again,

I thought I would start a new thread as it is a different enquiry!

Hiro was litter trained from when we first got him. Only issue was he used to pee outside the tray despite sitting in it! so we got a bigger litter tray with high sides to prevent this. His poos have always been in the litter tray, with the odd one here and there which wasn't an issue.

When we brought Luna home and kept her in the playpen to recover from surgery (her and Hiro got to know each other through the wires) she was also litter trained. Hiro would then start pooing everywhere, mainly aroudn the playpen. I assume that he is trying to mark his territory?

Now that they are both bonded, most mornings I find ridiculous amounts of poo all over the conservatory. I know they are Hiro's because they are much much bigger than Luna's. He still poos in the litter tray, but I don't understand why there is now SO MUCH poo all over. Surely he doesn't need to mark his territory anymore as they are bonded? How do I get him to stop?

That is not the biggest issue as I can just sweep it up..but every now and then, I find puddles of pee around the room! And I am pretty sure it is Luna's because I have never had an issue with Hiro (and I have had him since he was 8 weeks). They are both around 8 months, Luna has been with me for about a month now. She was fine when she was in the playpen, so I don't know why she seems to be peeing outside the litter tray every now and then? Have I given her too much space too quickly? Should I confine them again to a smaller space?

Please help! I managed to convince my mum to let me keep them indoors and now they are doing this!

What I tend to do is confine them to a smaller space/cage for a few days until they stop peeing when I let them out. Also I use the simple solution (I think it's called) to clean up any accidents. Do they share the litter tray happily, maybe luna can't get to it when needed?With the poos I always clear them up and put them in the litter tray. Eventually they get the hint!

What I tend to do is confine them to a smaller space/cage for a few days until they stop peeing when I let them out. Also I use the simple solution (I think it's called) to clean up any accidents. Do they share the litter tray happily, maybe luna can't get to it when needed?With the poos I always clear them up and put them in the litter tray. Eventually they get the hint!

Thanks for the reply

I have confined them both within the playpen now and no accidents so far! Still only using the 1 litter tray. Although there is still a lot of poo all over the place which is pretty frustrating! I have been constantly scooping them up and putting them either in the bin or in their litter tray, still won't stop! Is it territorial? Does it mean they're not bonded? I'm so confused

Thanks for the reply

I have confined them both within the playpen now and no accidents so far! Still only using the 1 litter tray. Although there is still a lot of poo all over the place which is pretty frustrating! I have been constantly scooping them up and putting them either in the bin or in their litter tray, still won't stop! Is it territorial? Does it mean they're not bonded? I'm so confused

I have gone through this whole same process with Ralph for the last 2 months! Again rescue bunny, first got him, completely trained, suddenly after Christmas went mad with weeing everywhere! Literally, everwhere, 8-10 times a day.

Here is what I did (after spending hours with my head in my hands, and threatening him with being sent back to the rescue!)
1) I did give them a smaller area in their cage/run area
2) Increased the litter trays, they had three of those underbed storage boxes, which was a massive pain

3) (And this was the most helpful thing): my house has wooden floor, so I went to the carpet shop and got some carpet off cuts, and after having steam cleaned and vinegared my floor I put them down to cover their area.

After I did the carpet I had a week with no wees, straight away, so I knew it was obviously behavioural! Then I let them out supervised, and got another bit of carpet to join it on so kinda extending their territory!

Yesterday they managed from about 10am till 6pm (not all supervised), without any problems, then Ralph did a wee on the carpet, so I put them back in the cage.

I've heard that when you get to that point, if they have an accident you are meant to put them back in for 24 hours, before re trying again. I'm hopeful we may get to the point of 24hr free ranging!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply

But re the pooing, I have no idea, they both poo everywhere! I have a handheld Dyson and as its mainly around the boxes I just zap it up!

How does shutting them in for 24 hours help stop them weeing in the 'wrong' place?

How does shutting them in for 24 hours help stop them weeing in the 'wrong' place?

Not sure about the time frame, but it just does. I've always put it down to getting them used to peeing in one place, becomes a habit.

where is their food?

I had a similar problem with my two, i was almost at breaking point! i had enough poo to start a manure company and my rabbits have run of the whole house! Then i had some advise from a veteran house rabbit keeper and she suggested moving the food and snacks into the area where they're allowed to poo and wee. Apparently a rabbits bowels are activated by chewing and they poo. generally in the wild they chew everywhere and then poo everywhere.

The solution for me was to move where the water bottle was positioned to over the tray and suspend the hay from sting above the tray and place the cereal bowl in the tray.

When feeding fresh food i tend to put it in areas for them to forage or "hunt" for they then hop back to the tray for a poo!

I have the odd poo and wee around now but its solved the main issue.

Cheers

Back