• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet quantities - the official rule - advice needed.

HappyHop

Warren Scout
Hi
What is the 'official' rule on pellet quantities?
I am trying to help improve the welfare of a rabbit in a school and its no good me saying an egg cup full etc
So I am going to try and link it in all in with some maths weighing activities.

I have read on here somewhere but cant find it now that its # kg of pellets for # kg of body weight.
If anyone can remind me of what it is I would be extremely grateful.
I will get there in the end with this rabbit but think the best approach is small steps.
Thanks
Nikki
x

I think the thing is that if you go with 'official' guidelines I.e what the pellet companies say themselves, that will always be too much. I think they suggest 50g per bun a day, which is way more than an eggcupful. Because after all they want you to feed more pellets so they make more money. The eggcup rule is more a tried an tested theory...

Does the bun in school get plenty of hay and forage/veggies? Because if not I wouldn't recommend cutting down pellets or they won't have enough nutrients.

There's no official rule (that I've ever heard of) - the official rule is the suggested feed on the side of the feed packet, which is always way too much.

Everybun is different and needs a different diet.

Rule of thumb should be;

85% hay
10% veggies/herbs/etc
5% pellets

I've asked for this to be moved to the correct section. It's down to personal choice and what brand/what else You feed.

Thanks for your replies.
I know all that especially as they are going on the back of the packet ! Despairs!
But surely you feed giants more than you do a nethie? please correct me if I am wrong.
I am working with a school and a college that has lots of different sizes and breeds of bun.
Because of the set up at college .... long story....... however someone posted the other day about a rough guide so many grams of pellets for the weight of the rabbit?????????

Pellets are really just a vitamin supplement, and it really depends on what your bunnies thrive on.

Ludo has 12 pellets of SS a day.

I go by the 20 grams of pellets for every 1kg of rabbit rule - our buns do fine on that.

Brilliant thank you, that was the one I was looking for.
When you are dealing with 40 plus rabbits all different size and breeds I need to give them some guidelines.
Thanks

I would agree with 20g per KG. It seems to work best after trying lots of different amounts. My largest bunny was starving on less than that so I had to increase her amounts. Every rabbit is different though so trial and error is maybe the best way. Also scatter feeding so the rabbits have to forage between leaves or hay means they are forced to slow their gobbling and it provides mental stimulation.

20g per kg is about as 'official' as you get (I think it's actual 23g ish) but it wasn't written for pets so a neutered pet rabbit tends to need less, and even less if they are eating lots of veggies too. The commercial pellets quote around 50-75g per rabbit, but that's just an average rabbit = 2kg which is you 23g x 2.

The RWA hop to it booklet says no more than 1 egg cup twice a day - which works out less :)

Thanks for all replies
I am going to give them the Hop to it Magazine as well but with the set up of the college they need something a bit 'firmer' so that is great.
Thanks.

I'd always been told for rabbits given hay and little else in the way of greens - 25g per kg of rabbit (so they get enough vits/mins, etc) but that rabbits given hay and lots of greens (and a good variety) need 10g per kg of body weight.

I dont like the egg cup rule at all- it doesnt account for variation in size of either the egg cup or the rabbit, nor does it account for the variance in rabbits diet other than pellets (i.e. more or less greens) and doesnt take into account that lower fibre pellets take up less space for the same weight (my egg cups take 20g of science selective, but more of own brand ones like pets at home ones).

The problem with the 'egg cup' is that people take it too literally. Its meant to be a guideline, a good starting point and then adjusted as necessary to suit the rabbits. Some will need more, some less.

Do they actually 'need' pellets at all? For me, pellets are just a treat - not essential, providing they have endless supply of good quality hay, and a some veggies, herbs etc.

Rabbits would not naturally have access to pellets :lol:

Pellets given, if at all, in moderation will encourage hay eating as they won't have filled their tums on the pellets, thus encourage more grazing of hay :) Which in turn, is good for teeth and digestion.

Back