• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zoned out rabbit

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Can anyone help? My rabbit is outwardly healthy - eating/drinking/pooping/weeing/moving happily. Recently though he's been zoning out. What I mean is that he keeps sitting staring into space. He also seems a bit more jumpy than usual.

Any ideas appreciated!!

Given his history of unexplained episodes of gut stasis I would take him back to the Vet to discuss this latest development. Without being able to actually see what he is doing I cant say if what you are describing are abnormal neurological symptoms or not. The only way to ascertain this would be to examine him, including his neurological responses.

Good luck

Thanks Jane. He's tucking into his breakfast now. Luckily I'm on half term holiday so I can monitor him today. He seems fine at the moment. It's not a constant thing with him as he still enjoys flying around the room it's almost like going into a day dream with him.
I'll see how he is today and if it occurs again I'll take him to the vet (feel like I keep them in business lately! )
I appreciate your response x

He's a right odd-bod my Springfield. He's been sprinting round this morning. I'm reluctant to think there's anything wrong (yet) because as I said the rest of the eating and pooping etc is normal.
He's having less vegetables today to see if that helps - he didn't have loads but he did eat more straight from his bottom than he usually would have so that may be a factor. He also had gut stasis this time last week so it could just be him still getting over it.
He's also coming up to his first birthday and I know rabbits do slow down as they get older.
Lot's of things to consider but I'm hoping I'm reading too much into everything x

I thought this was normal for rabbits. Mine will suddenly be say washing himself or licking me and he will stop and stare into space, you can wave you hand in front of his face and nothing and then 20 seconds later he suddenly goes back to what he was doing. As he has always done this I assumed it was normal?????

they do this when nodding off, but it can also be a sign of discomfort/pain aswell so keep a close eye. :wave:

Hi. Thanks for your replies it's very helpful. It's hard to describe really and even on video it wouldn't look like anything other than a bunny sitting still. It probably is perfectly normal but I've been watching them both like a hawk since he was poorly last week. He hasn't done it today yet but mind he has been dozing with his wife bunny for the most part of today (normal for them through the day).
I noticed a difference in his sitting position being hunched last week and he's not sat like that since so I'm fairly comfortable that he's not in pain it's more just that he goes into a daze - like a child day dreaming - which again could just be normal but I've not noticed before.
Sigh - I'm always worrying about something with them :p

Sometimes things can be normal for bunnies generally but when out of character for a specific rabbit be a sign of an issue. You could take a video for your vet, they usually act perfectly normal as soon as you get in the waiting room!

Back