• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about George and his broken leg

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
He's been home for a week now, and for the most part it seems to have been ok *fingers crossed* but when I was cleaning him out tonight (when cleaning him out he goes in the rabbit carrier so he can't cause any more mischief to his poor leg) I noticed the his other leg was quite stained with urine - I'm assuming because he can't put weight on his bad leg that he's struggling to clean himself. This presents a huge problem because he's so adverse to being handled at all - and with his broken leg I'm even more wary of handling him because he kicks and struggles so much and I don't want him to hurt himself any more than he already has.

How can I help him clean himself because I know he can't be happy being so mucky :( but I can't pick him up, I've tried everything including a bunny burrito but he just thrashes around and I'm so worried about him hurting himself more - I'm also worried about the risks of infection anyway, more so now he's all pee covered. I just don't know what to do :(

Please help

His broken leg is wrapped to stop him chewing the pins & he's still on anti-biotics

His other leg (the stained on) looked mainly dry - but from what I've watched over the last couple of days he's struggling to put weight on his left side (he broke his back left leg) so he can't turn to wash himself properly (the left side however is sparkling clean in comparison)

If it's only staining, then I wouldn't worry about keeping it clean. If it looks as though the fur is wet or the skin looks sore, then pop him to the vets. They will be able to clean him up without harming him, and also advise on what you can do.

I have a bun who is unhandleable too, so I can understand just how much your bun fights when he is restrained. I really wouldn't try to do it on your own, especially with a broken leg.

Sending vibes his way. x

Oh bless him. I agree with the above poster. Keep an eye on the leg, as soon as you see it getting sore, red and looking angry nip him to the vets and they can take a look and prescribe something that might help whilst his leg gets better. Not all buns like being picked up so avoid doing this if it does stress him out. If you do want to help clean him up a bit go in with a damp kitchen cloth and wipe it over his legs whilst he's sitting (if he lets you do it) this might take some of the wetness urine off.

If in doubt pop to your vets for advice, you may find hes cleaning a bit himself when you aren't looking. They do like to worry us bunny mummys

Just keep an eye that the leg doesn't get sore. If he's wet you can wipe him with a damp cloth but if it's dry but yellow coloured there isn't much you can do it will sort itself out once he's healed the other one. If it does become more of an issue, the vet can shave the fur there for you and that will make it easier for him to clean/you to wipe over.

Do he use a litter tray? If so what's in it? Something like paper/wood based cat litter is quite absorbent. You could also try vet bed or a towel if he'll have those without eating as they'll help soak it up if he sits on them.

Back