• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy grumbling

Last night I noticed Jessie was acting peculiar gnawing on her mesh and then having a drink from the bottle and she kept on repeating this I thought it was because I had put her in the hutch for the night and was doing it out of boredom so let her out. Once I did I could hear her stomach grumbling. I googled and found its a build up of gas. She had brocolli stalk yesterday so could this have been the culprit? She seems ok today and I've not heard anymore grumbling but what signs are there to look for incase it turns into something more serious?

Thanks Leigh.

Broccoli is a gassy veg, not sure about the stalk. Some buns are fine with it, 2 of mine can't eat it as it messes their gut up so maybe switch to kale or a spring green leaf? :) Of course introduce slowly as you would anything else :)

Broccoli is a gassy veg, not sure about the stalk. Some buns are fine with it, 2 of mine can't eat it as it messes their gut up so maybe switch to kale or a spring green leaf? :) Of course introduce slowly as you would anything else :)

Thanks I've been introducing different things and so far everything agrees with both my buns but I think the brocolli may have caused it. X

Definitely sounds like a gassy problem to me. If their gut slows you will notice that they are eating less, and their poos are tiny and black.

Keep an eye on it and if you see any signs take to the vet immediately as gut statis is a killer. You can also kelp grumbly tummys by giving them a little tummy rub, I do this to my two if they feel hard.

Back