• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could sand be dangerous - getting it in eyes?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I'm worried about my buns getting sand in their eyes when playing in a pen that doesn't have any grass in it. Is this ever an issue? When they dig in the yard they get sand on their face (our soil here is fine sand) and it's never been a problem before...but they've never played in a pen that's just sand before either:?

We have a silt like sandy dirt here too, it gets into everything and it sticks. Especially in fabric, once it's in you never get it out. :(
I would be concerned mostly with sand causing any tear duct blockage and, if it's really grainy, scratching the eyeball itself because corneal ulcers are so common in rabbits and result in loss of the eye itself if not caught in time.

Will nothing grow in this area so that they might have a better surface upon which to play? Even a wheat grass or hayseed?

I could encourage grass to grow in it but i'm not sure how long it would last with my ducks (it's my duck pen).

I have read that if you dampen the sand it should be okay :? But maybe it's best that I just continue letting them play outside of the pen.:)

The only problem with that is birds of prey. They're always perching or flying over - which is awesome - except for their interest in my pets/ferals/wildies. They quite often circle my yard flying really low, scoping out my birds, so I have to bang things together and wave things in the air to stop them from grabbing a bird. So even though I'm right there with the rabbits I still get paranoid and sometimes just want to be able to not have be on high alert...but that's not worth possible eye damage.

Ah I see...yeah wet sand maybe, but it would sure stick to their feet and then they'd ingest it (and maybe some duck poop along with it? ew)...may not be worth it. :?
Oh gosh, BOP's....I just pulled up a newspaper article tonight looking for road conditions...made my heart come into my mouth as it's just about fifteen miles from here: (WARNING: Some graphic detail in article-if squeamish please don't read!)
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/owl-kills-north-pole-dog/article_2377af5e-859c-11e3-9609-001a4bcf6878.html
I like all animals basically...but if one of these bad boys tried to take my dog it would be go time. :evil:
I couldn't bear the thought of my bunnies getting carried off. I don't move anywhere near as fast as necessary...I don't think any of us do. They are quick and quiet and with a low hare population this year, little creatures are just a huge target. :cry:
They even try to take off with some larger ones. We know a lady down the road apiece who had an owl attack her medium size dog and try to carry it off! :shock:

Back