• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upturning litter tray.

I cleaned Faith's hutch out as normal yesterday and placed her litter tray back where it normally goes with some of her droppings in so she knew to use it. Couple of hours later I find it upturned at the other side of the hutch. So put fresh newspaper and wood shavings in there to find this morning she has done the same thing.

Any ideas as to why? Could it be boredom from being in her hutch all night?

My bunnies always do that, and they turn over their food bowls too. I think they genuinely enjoy tossing things around the cage, regardless of what it is. We've managed to tie the litter tray down so it cant be flung around but she'll still try! I guess it's hard for them to distinguish between what's a toy and what isn't.

I'd definitely say boredom, Rabbits are so active especially around dusk and dawn and the surrounding hours, eg, when we are resting - so you need to have relevant space and activities for them to keep them stimulated in that time.

Biscuit used to trash everything when bored, so I feel your pain.

We also save a small piece of the wee soaked newspaper to put back in the litter tray along with some droppings, Bun won't use it otherwise and will poo around it haha!I'm guessing it has to smell right!

Thanks for the replies she's given it a good chew too so must just have thought it was fun to play with. Bought her some rabbit toys and she's not interested (Jessie will throw them or kick them out of her way). She does love toilet rolls filled with treats though so may give her one of them to throw about during the night :)

A good place to get toys are charity shops. You can get hardy baby rattles and the like for about 50p. My Rabbits love the ones that make lots of noise when thrown about :)

Thanks for the replies she's given it a good chew too so must just have thought it was fun to play with. Bought her some rabbit toys and she's not interested (Jessie will throw them or kick them out of her way). She does love toilet rolls filled with treats though so may give her one of them to throw about during the night :)

Have you had a look on The Hay Experts website and also Willow Warren? Both of these places have a good selection of bunny toys which are great for mental stimulation and some are also excellent to help keep their teeth healthy too.

Bunnies are all very individual in their personalities, some much brighter than others, some more destructive.......it sounds like your bunny needs toys and things to help keep boredom at bay.

I'd definitely say boredom, Rabbits are so active especially around dusk and dawn and the surrounding hours, eg, when we are resting - so you need to have relevant space and activities for them to keep them stimulated in that time.

Biscuit used to trash everything when bored, so I feel your pain.

I remember reading your threads Graham about Biscuit and trashing everything.

A good place to get toys are charity shops. You can get hardy baby rattles and the like for about 50p. My Rabbits love the ones that make lots of noise when thrown about :)

this. definately try sum rattles, mine LOVE throwing things about nd generally making a mess, put in sum blocks of wood nd other things u dont mind them throwing about. mine like those baby toys that are weighted to always stay upright, forget wot theyre called rite now. altho if theyre anything like mine theyll probs still move the litter box cos its naughty!!! :roll:

Back