• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying Urgent advice needed

KatP

Alpha Buck
I have 2 does who are sisters they are now 8 months old. I wanted to get them spayed as early as poss but my vet didn't want to do it till the smallest reached 1.5kg which was the beginning of December, when I rang and spoke to the vet she wasn't happy to do the spay then as they are outside bunnies and the vet was worried about the cold weather for their recovery. In the last week one of them has been humping the other a lot and for the last 2 days one has stayed at the top of the hutch while the other sits in the run underneath. They won't use their outside run as they would need flippers and a snorkel and they really are princesses! I bring them into the living room every night ( no heating on all day until they have been in) so that they can free range as they aren't using their run which is still open to them but the humping continues when I bring them in even with me stepping in.

Should I push my vet to go ahead and spay them or wait till March like she suggests? I don't have anywhere to put them other than outside. I am worried that their bond maybe breaking down!

Any advice greatly received.

I have 2 does who are sisters they are now 8 months old. I wanted to get them spayed as early as poss but my vet didn't want to do it till the smallest reached 1.5kg which was the beginning of December, when I rang and spoke to the vet she wasn't happy to do the spay then as they are outside bunnies and the vet was worried about the cold weather for their recovery. In the last week one of them has been humping the other a lot and for the last 2 days one has stayed at the top of the hutch while the other sits in the run underneath. They won't use their outside run as they would need flippers and a snorkel and they really are princesses! I bring them into the living room every night ( no heating on all day until they have been in) so that they can free range as they aren't using their run which is still open to them but the humping continues when I bring them in even with me stepping in.

Should I push my vet to go ahead and spay them or wait till March like she suggests? I don't have anywhere to put them other than outside. I am worried that their bond maybe breaking down!

Any advice greatly received.

You may have to seperate and re-bond them. I certainly wouldn't advise them being spayed then left outside in the cold after, they will need to be monitored and kept separate to start with after anyway until they have recovered. Its a major operation. Some vets like to keep them in overnight until they are eating/pooing though.

My four month old doe has just been spayed and gone back outside and is fine
She was in the unheated conservatory for a few days after the op and then back outside with snuggle safe
She and her brother are missing each other so much and need to be kept separately for a few more weeks so that side of it is a bit heartbreaking

Back