• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking a second bun home to bond queries

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Spoke to my vet and she said that buks can be fertile for 10 weeks after neutering? And to wait 10 weeks before taking another rabbit home.

She said keep them in seperate enclosures untill the doe is spayed. And recovered. Then she gave mecstep by step instructions for bonding.

But im thinking if im getting little doe spayed and Binx is waiting to be ready to be bonded. Can I not take her home anytime soon? If she will be in her pen anyway, give her time to really settel in, recover from her op and get used to her new environment and family for a couple months and let them out at different times for excersise arround the livingroom so their is no contact?

If not il be 3 months before I get her home, then more weeks to settle her, spay her and recovery time, itl be like 5 months before I can introduce them?

I do want to do the right thing by both buns. But is there a reason why I can not take her home now and startvthe process? If they are kept seperate anyway. I can be homing her in and spaying her, while Binx is becoming infertilite? Makes sense and saves time....yes?.....or am I missing something?

I think it's 4 weeks for males but you should wait around 6 weeks for females just to make sure all of the hormones are gone.

Is she vaccinated? That would be first on the list, tbh I would keep her in quarantine for a while just in case. After vaccination you need to wait 2 weeks before a spay too.

This is why I go to rescues now :lol: When we had Charley (a stray), we had to wait a month before spaying, we had her vaccinated though, after her spay she stopped eating for a week nearly, ended up costing over £200 in 5 days.. Whereas Kerbie was vaccinated, neutered and it was a £50 donation:p

Last edited:
I think it's 4 weeks for males but you should wait around 6 weeks for females just to make sure all of the hormones are gone.

Is she vaccinated? That would be first on the list, tbh I would keep her in quarantine for a while just in case. After vaccination you need to wait 2 weeks before a spay too.

This is why I go to rescues now :lol: When we had Charley (a stray), we had to wait a month before spaying, we had her vaccinated though, after her spay she stopped eating for a week nearly, ended up costing over £200 in 5 days.. Whereas Kerbie was vaccinated, neutered and it was a £50 donation:p

Thankyou, I went to another rescue today but fhe owner said the bunny care girl was in tomorrow so im going back tomorrow to see what buns are there. But the girl I have organised for taking home isnt spayed so il need to do that, but she is vaccinated so thats good. But im just going to check the rescue to be sure. Glad Charley was ok, scary stuff.

Back