• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Food before dental and a few other questions

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Hi guys

Rosie is booked in for her dental tomorrow morning at 9am. Should she have her morning pellets before as usual at 8am ? Also how long is the recovery time after a dental with GA as I want to get her home asap after it as I dont want her there any longer than she has to be - what would be the earliest time I could lift her?? Should I bring her bun friend oliver with her so she is less stressed ?? I am so stressed worrying how afraid she willbe goin to tbe vets. She was vibrating in her carrier when I took her for the checkup on Friday though came around quickly when I brought her home again.

Yes, feed her as normal if not a bit extra to get her strength up. You don't need to starve buns prior to a GA as they have no vomit reflex.
I would take her friend with her. The vets will need to separate them until she has come round but they can be together before and as soon as possible after.
When you can collect will depend when they actually do the dental. It might not be until the afternoon (it's always a first thing drop off). She needs to have come round properly.
Not sure if they are house or outdoor buns but she'll need to be kept inside for 24 to 48 hours afterwards as rabbits can't regulate their body temperatures after a GA. We usually put them in a cool room.
Good luck, we have a dental bun and I know how stressful this is.

I would also take some hay and perhaps a few veg in with her (which she or may not nibble on) - better to be safe than sorry as rabbits need access to food at all times. You'll also need to tell them whether she is used to a bowl or bottle of water.

Good luck!

Thanks for vibes, I have her bowls set out for her to take with me as well as some food - pellets and herbs. I dont expect her to eat until she is home again. I will post back when she is home.

Hi,
I took Javier in at 2pm and collected him at 6.30pm for his dental. I didn't take his lady bun in with him but I fully expected him to be given a clean bill of health and sent home! But if it's planned, I would take their partner in for moral support. Maybe take some of her usual pellets in too, she may not feel like eating them but she'll have the option.
Try not to worry, I'm sure it will all be fine. But I know you will worry, I burst into tears at the vets when she told me javier needed a dental :oops:
I kept Javier in (he is an outdoor bun) and I gave Javier the option of a heat pad, and his vetbed, both of which he ignored but he did snuggle in his carrier which I filled with hay.
Let us know how Rosie gets on, and when she is home safe x

Back