• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold Ears - Take to Vets??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
My 6 year old house bunnie Rosie has had cold ears for a few days now but she is other wise ok. Maybe not wanting to go outside as much when I open the back door as she used tobut apart from that eatting and pooping ok. Should I be concerned ?? Should I take her to vet if the dont warm up ??

Feel the base of her ears, the back of her neck. If it is cold there then there might be something wrong. If just her ears are cold that's normal, especially as the temperature has dropped. :wave:

Ok will do that. She has just come in from outside where it is 2 degrees so she is cold all over at the minute. I will give her an hour to warm up and check then. Thanks for advice.

Ok will do that. She has just come in from outside where it is 2 degrees so she is cold all over at the minute. I will give her an hour to warm up and check then. Thanks for advice.

If she is a House Rabbit then she should not really be going outdoors now that it is so cold. Rabbits can cope with very cold weather, but they cant cope with drastic changes from a warm centrally heated (I assume) house to an outdoor temp that is in single figures.

Rabbits use their ears to regulate their temperate. The blood flow to the ears increases when then are warm as heat is lost easiest through the thin fur and then blood flow restricts when they are cold to conserve heat. I wouldn't expect most people's houses to be cold enough to have an effect though but it might be the going in/out.

Jacks Jane I dont put the bunnies outside, when I come home from work they are fed their greens and then they run to the back door wanting out. They will go outside for about 1.5 hrs by their own choice and then run back in when they r done. Should I not let them out even if they want to ?? Ur views r appreciated. Just checked and her ears r now warm, phew !! Must be the going in and out.

Her ears have cooled again and behind her neck isnt as warm as the other two buns (they r lop earred). The heating has been on for a couple of hours and she was sitting on her mat in front of the radiator so I thought that would have warm ed them. I think I will take her to vet tomorrow to get her checked over. Is there anything in particular I should ask about with cold ears being the main issue ??

Back