• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overflowing scent glands

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
How often do you clean your bunnies' scent glands? My Poppet seems to have overflowing ones - I clean them out weekly, but it's as if they leak matter - I often have to wipe it off the fur around the area.
I'm reluctant to do it more often, as I worry it's uncomfortable/painful for her.

She's three years old, spayed and bonded with two other buns.

Is she clean around her rear end in every other way ? If she is having trouble self grooming/cleaning that can be indicative of a problem with her teeth or her mobility-eg arthritis.

It is abnormal for the scent glands to produce so much exudate that they frequently leak all over the fur. But without seeing the exact problem with Poppet I cant say exactly what is going on. A Vet check may be a good idea

I seldom have to clean any of my Rabbit's scent glands, it is generally only the elderly or health compromised ones the need help.

Our Honey had trouble cleaning herself when she was rather overweight (no more pet shop treats for her). This seems like a mean question but is your bunny a tad "curvy"? To be honest even when Honey was at her fattest we didn't have to clean her as often as you are so maybe a vet check would be a good idea.

Thanks both. She's a bit plump, to be honest. I'm trying to restrict treats and pellets, but OH sneaks her stuff when I'm not watching.

I'll book her an appointment with the vet - just in case.

Thank you :wave:

You could try providing him with healthier alternatives eg fresh herbs - that way he can still treat her :) Another way to do it is to take part of her pellet ration and put it in a treat pot and feed those as treats.

That's a great idea, thanks Tamsin. I've bought one of those teach & treat trays - I could put her pellets in that.

Anything that encourages her to be active like that will help :) Like human weight loss, exercise is important too.

Plus, they make the food last longer so they don't start begging so quickly :lol:

Back