• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toy ideas, help *pic*

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
I made these for a bunny who is less fortunate than many others.

2 toilet roll tube balls, a 'tree' which will have the inside bit turned around so it's poking out of the end and hay stuffed in and a tube with fibre first sticks, a broken fenugreek crunchie and apple sticks poking out. Might put some hay in there too! Not sure what to do with the small spare apple twig yet.. might stick it through one of the balls or something. This bunny needs hay too, (still trying to get the message through that hay is mega mega important without being too full on!) so I bought a big bag from the range and also have some meadow hay left over from h4p that mine won't eat! I have a spare litter tray that fits in the bedroom area of the hutch he has so that will (hopefully) help them keep on top of keeping him with clean.

I've also got a chill n chew mat, hay ball full of hay, hay rack that I've packed with hay (these will give his body size in hay if filled daily..) 2 more tubes stuffed with hay, 4 blanket rags to dig (I will say if they look like they're being eaten then just put them in the bin), some hawthorn, a chewy thing that attaches to the mesh, a wood and rope toy thing, plastic rattle and 2 of those willow stick bundles as my lot ignore them!

This is for mental stimulation too. If anyone has any more ideas please say, I trawled the forum last night looking for ideas that aren't too big that would take away from space or too difficult to maintain .. I'm really trying to give this bun something to do other than chew the dirty old sticks in the bottom of the hutch and eating soiled on hay.

OOoooohhh I like these :) I like the one with the sticky out sticks lol.

May I ask where you get your apple sticks from :) :wave:

OOoooohhh I like these :) I like the one with the sticky out sticks lol.

May I ask where you get your apple sticks from :) :wave:

I was lacking in apple sticks so had to improvise :lol:
I get them from my bf's apple tree (I knew he was good for something ;) :lol:) but I know Fluffers on here sells bundles when she has them -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Rescue-*Fresh-In-Now*&highlight=Apple+sticks

Also eBay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mixed-100...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item23310fef04

I might have to buy some soon as the tree I use can't be taken back any more! Might start on the pear tree now :p

Fabulous :thumb:

It's really hard work guiding people to be better bunny owners - a fine line between offering friendly advice and coming across as a judgemental pain so kudos for taking the time :D I'm on a similar mission with someone else although hadn't thought of doing some toilet roll toys so may have to steal your ideas ;)

Fabulous :thumb:

It's really hard work guiding people to be better bunny owners - a fine line between offering friendly advice and coming across as a judgemental pain so kudos for taking the time :D I'm on a similar mission with someone else although hadn't thought of doing some toilet roll toys so may have to steal your ideas ;)

All of the things I've done/bought I asked so I didn't come across as "HERE YOU GO THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!" kind of thing :lol: I just know these toys and hay will improve his quality of life a little and keep him occupied. I also have some RWAF leaflets I got sent when I bought my hutch/run so I'm going to give my friend those to have a look through too.

We have about 40 toilet roll tubes :oops: So I'm not short of them for trialling ideas :p Got some more to do later as she wanted some to change for him every now and then and it's not like the tubes are hard to come by! I also have half of a woven tunnel that my lot chewed for a day and now they're ignoring it.. so he can have that too as it's not very big now. It's just so much easier to say "mine are ignoring/aren't eating this so you might as well have it"!

The balls are probably the easiest things ever to make and they go down so well, especially with pellets shoved in! I can't really do that with this bunny as he has muesli so don't want to give him SS.. maybe a few as a treat might be okay do you think?
The things he has been given though.. He seems to have a rock solid stomach :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing pics of the toys, they look really good and I will definitely be trying the toilet roll ball for my guys.

Last month when I was in Ikea I bought a couple of water hyacinth placemats and my buns love to destroy them and they last for ages. I think they are only a couple of pounds. Sorry I don't really have any other ideas at the mo, it's a brain fog day :/

I noticed from the pic you have the same little storage box as us ;) I am obsessed with storage and bought about ten of them for our house and for keeping pellets, readigrass and dried forage in. They are great !!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

I have boxes for everything much to my bf's dismay :lol: I'm going out with her tomorrow to the garden centre so might find some more toys and treats ;)

All of the toys I've made, I've basically shoved hay into everything! Poor thing really needs loads of hay so I've tried my best, do you think I can get anymore in the hay rack?? :lol: it's only one of those small fold out ones but managed to get 4 decent handfuls in :D

null_zps4e376511.jpg

I have boxes for everything much to my bf's dismay :lol: I'm going out with her tomorrow to the garden centre so might find some more toys and treats ;)

All of the toys I've made, I've basically shoved hay into everything! Poor thing really needs loads of hay so I've tried my best, do you think I can get anymore in the hay rack?? :lol: it's only one of those small fold out ones but managed to get 4 decent handfuls in :D

null_zps4e376511.jpg

Lol:lol::lol::lol::lol: at first glance, before i read that there was a hay rack involved, i thought it was just a large wadge of hay!!!

Well done for cramming soo much in!!!:thumb:

Lol:lol::lol::lol::lol: at first glance, before i read that there was a hay rack involved, i thought it was just a large wadge of hay!!!

Well done for cramming soo much in!!!:thumb:

I'm pretty pleased with myself :lol: I did the same with the hay ball!

The best thing I can suggest is egg boxes. Mine love egg boxes stuffed with forage/treats/hay and it's hilarious to watch them trying to get into them. I also tried the same thing with an empty cereal box and that worked well too. :)

null_zps4e376511.jpg

:lol: I think you did a pretty good job of stuffing that with hay :thumb: !!!! I'm the same with storage. My husband laughs every time I come home with a storage box. I literally have a box for everything :shock:

Back