• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset grumpy bunnies

lauralittleninja

Warren Scout
Ok so I may be being paranoid but I need your advice.
I have a bonded pair frank and betty who I have had for about 18 months and love them to bits. They are house buns. They are not particularly fans of cuddles especially frank but normally are happy to chill out on the rug in the lounge with me and OH for an evening.
We recently aquired a new bun ted who is living in the kitchen atm . We ideally want to bond him with others but this may not happen :(
The others know I have ted as we gave them a short intro but they do not come face to face with him anymore as I want to get ted neutered and vacc before any more intros.
My issue is that since teds arrival 2 weeks ago, frank and betty hate me !
I mean they have never been overlly friendly unless im bearing food but now if I go to stroke them they sniff me, strop off somewhere and then chin stuff ! I know its because they can smell ted on me but I feel upset that its making them miserable !
I have considered that mayb ted wont be able to stay with us but I really cant bear the thought of rehoming him . But on the other hand I dont want to make frank and betty feel pushed out :(

What would every one else do ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I know its because they can smell ted on me but I feel upset that its making them miserable !

Maybe it's not so much that they can smell Ted on you, but they can smell Ted in the house?

Perhaps you could keep Ted in outside accommodation and find him a wifeybun instead of bonding him with your current pair?

Thanks for your reply. I dont really want to put ted outside whilst he is on his own as its getting colder now and he gets alot more attention indoors . Once he is neutered we will look at the situation again and perhaps get him a wife to live with. Then maybe we could move him and wife outside in the spring . He seems to like his living area atm thou :(

My first 2 rabbits, Sophie and Melissa, were fine until I brought Jasmine home. Sophie refused to have anything to do with me for about a month and when I approached their hutch she would look down and not at me. I knew I had offended them!

They did get over it but I never tried to bond the 3. I got Jasmine her own friend. This isn't to say you wouldn't be able to bond the 3. Once the new boy is neutered you could try to bond them using the correct procedures. Meanwhile I doubt whether your pair will like knowing there is another rabbit in the next room.

Thanku :) I am not sure I will even attempt the bonding again , I dont want to upset them more than I already have ! I dont let them in the kitchen and never did but they obviously know something is out there ! Mayb im taking it to heart ...they have never neen lap bunnies but I do feel I recieve some dissaproving looks now lol . They seem to like me at breakfast time thou haha .
Its a tough one. I know I can give ted a loving home but it seems it at the price of my other babies happiness :((

Give them time they will come round and once Ted is neutered go ahead with the bond:D how long till this can happen?

I had Stu a single bun outside and then got 2 new babies (boys) stu was and outdoor bun and the babies lived inside until they were big enough to go outside in the spring:D

Stu got very hutch aggressive with me and I suffered a few nips even tho he was the cuddliest bun ever when I first had him, I know this was just his way of telling me he knew something was up:shock: and he made me cry cos I was upset he was upset:oops:

However once neutered and outside and meeting each other the boys settled down and I bonded over a few visits in the garden now I have a trio of happy boys :love: and my cuddly Stu is happy and cuddly again now he has two buddies too:love:

Just hang in there:love:

I used to have this, and I'd have to change my top and wash my hands after handling the "offensive" newcomer, or Poppet Bun would attack me. I had to keep this up, and keep them separate until after their spay. Difficult, but so worth it.

Good luck!

Ah thanku so much for your replies. I did actually cry this morning when frank greeted me with a growl and a stamp :( its horrible!
Newcomer ted is going to the vets tomorrow for his vacc and the vet will advise me on when he can b booked for neuter. Hes a nethie dwarf x so quite small atm at only 14 weeks . As soon as he is big enough he will be booked in :)
I have also considered changing clothes in between bunnies but I thought that mayb if they get used to the smell of newcomer on me then it may help with bonding in the future . These bunnies certainly take up alot of time with their finicky ways ! Why cant they just see that having a new mate to hang out with is good lol :s

Back