• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hattie - suspected myxi

okarnill

New Kit
Hi everyone, some of you may know we lost our gorgeous boy Fidget to myxi last week, today I found a horrible lump on Hattie and rushed her straight to the vet. It seems to have come up very quickly, it's like a giant blood blister. The vet has given her antibiotics for ten days and I'm watching her.

Up till yesterday she was a happy girl, a bit quiet sometimes which I put down to her missing Fidget. She's been eating, pooing and playing pretty well for a rabbit on her own. I'd taken to bringing her into the main house (she's had the run of the conservatory since we lost Fidget, I didn't want to put her back out in the run till I'd disinfected it, unfortunately we've had rain more or less ever since)

She may have the start of a runny nose, I'm not sure yet. She was eating this morning but after I bought her home she hasn't touched anything apart from a tiny bit of apple (she's diabetic too so I have to watch what she eats)

Both rabbits were vaccinated with the 12 month vaccine last year, we'd had the six months with all our rabbits previous to that and I'm UNIMPRESSED that they got it while they'd been done (although it was running out, Hattie had her jab and we lost Fidget the day it was due) In future they'll be getting it a month or so early.

Anyway happy vibes needed here :(

Vet isn't 100% sure it's myxi, I think the fact we lost Fidget with it last week means it's got to be. Alternative is some form of cancer or growth/ulcer although I can't think we're unlucky nor the timing would be that bad. It's sort of on the side of her neck/leg (hard to say since she has a dewlap - I should say she came in with it, I've been trying to get weight off her for years then we got the diabetes diagnosis a year ago) So far no sign of anything round nose, ears or backside

It's uncommon for a vaccinated rabbit to get full myxi, but vaccinations rely on the rabbits immune system reacting and developing antibodies to create immunity so it's possible, though very rare, for an individual rabbit to not develop immunity. It's one of the reasons they do health checks prior to a jab, if the immune system is busy fighting something else, that's one reason why immunity might not develop.

The nodule is actually a good sign, well obviously no signs would be better but in terms of myxi. It means that that the vaccination has helped protect her and rather than getting normal full blown myxi she's developed the nodular form which is much less nasty. It's possible that the nodule she has will be the only symptom, although you may find she develops a couple more. Generally they appear around the head but you don't get the ear/eye/genital swelling you get with normal myxi and they remain much more well.

There are a couple of other people with rabbits with this at the moment which might give you some idea of what to expect.

Fingers crossed for you :)

Thank you so much everyone. I'm pleased to say she's holding her own. Her appetite is down but she's fairly bright in herself and eating enough to make me put the syringeful of emergency feed down lol.

It's a really horrible sight though, just this one nodule so far. Thankfully. We got a ten day course of antibiotics from the vet (who took a picture so how savvy they are I don't know) is it normal to have it look like a horrible huge black blood blister? the skin on top is obviously dead, no sign of any wound to show infection. Alternative is some sort of tumour but I think it's responding to the antibiotics, not sticking up so much and I am sure it's a tad smaller looking this morning. Her eyes are actually bright and her coat is much better now the antibiotics are kicking in (that was the first sign, staring coat, I originally put it down to 'might be' then couldn't find anything else so took it as a sign of grieving rabbit, but it's getting its glossiness back now) ears, eyes, backside clean and lovely I'm glad to say.

She's getting some carefully chosen treats (she also has diabetes, not caused by me, she's a rescue, was left in a packing case for the first five years of her life poor girl) and although she's not clearing them up I'm able to get her to nibble a bit of each just to keep her tummy going. I did wonder if it's an ulcer caused by her diabetes tho. Don't suppose anyone on here has a rabbit that's been diagnosed with that at all?

So sorry, I only seem to come here when I have bad news. We're also moving my Mum from one house to another, and have to leave for long periods to pack - what a nightmare! I'm hoping once everything settles down, and preferably before I lose my sanity, I'll be able to get back and read more of this forum.

Thank you Sam and Truffs :) I'm pleased to say tonight she's been running around and tucking in to a small piece of carrot, gave herself a darn good clean too. Fingers still firmly crossed but it's hopeful.

Lets see if I can get this to work. This is Hattie and one of our new rescue cats Oscar. Scuse the horse rug they're half sitting on. It's the most recent pic of her.

Last edited:
I'm overjoyed to say that Hattie is now fit and well, all sign of the nodule has gone She's eating and drinking and pooing and acting like a happy rabbit. Yesterday we collected a 'free to good home' buck that I'm hoping will bond with her. He's called Bramble and is already jabbed but it's getting towards the end of it's time so he's booked into the vet PDQ. Fingers crossed that I can get them to bond without problems. Poor Hattie has been making up to the cats - hopping up to their faces and shoving her nose under their chins, the impression I get from the cats about this behaviour is the same expression as Dr Who had when he discovered Daleks can fly!

So life continues apace here
Hope everyone else is good and all poorly rabbits that were here when I was last on are on the mend :)

I'm overjoyed to say that Hattie is now fit and well, all sign of the nodule has gone She's eating and drinking and pooing and acting like a happy rabbit. Yesterday we collected a 'free to good home' buck that I'm hoping will bond with her. He's called Bramble and is already jabbed but it's getting towards the end of it's time so he's booked into the vet PDQ. Fingers crossed that I can get them to bond without problems. Poor Hattie has been making up to the cats - hopping up to their faces and shoving her nose under their chins, the impression I get from the cats about this behaviour is the same expression as Dr Who had when he discovered Daleks can fly!

So life continues apace here
Hope everyone else is good and all poorly rabbits that were here when I was last on are on the mend :)

Ace :)

Loving the cat response to bunny demands!

Back