• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbours Rabbit(s) becoming a major disturbance - HELP!

Hello

I was directed here by friends who are rabbit owners - we're not owners - and they suggested we seek advice from an owners forum with a view to finding a solution which suits all.

The problem is this, for several weeks now, most nights, we are being woken not just once or twice a night but sometimes three or four times by our next door neighbours rabbits which are thumping LOUDLY and incessantly. Each time we wake with start and at first it was as if our front door was being banged so you can imagine the startling effect of that. But obviously we now know what it is but still it wakes us with a start and continues for anything from a few minutes to more than an hour - and usually as I say on multiple occasions through the night. We now go to bed 'in anticipation' of the noise which is a problem in itself. It's now 07:02am and I have been awake since 01:30 this morning. This is the worst it has ever been and has been going on for 5 nights running now.

The reason I am asking the question here is that I am going to approach the neighbours - who we do get along with I hasten to add - and rather than just complain I would like to offer some useful suggestions if possible. Since I know nothing about rabbits I am asking for your help in this.

Now, I have actually recorded the sound, which might sound absurd, but this is just how bad it has become and since these are huge rabbits I imagine they have a powerful kick. It sounds like a bass drum (you know, the big round drum at the bottom of the drum set operated by pedal) being struck - it's a deep thud.

I understand that rabbits tend to behave like this when distressed, frightened or to warn other rabbits in some way. But what if anything can be done about it? Has anyone here had a similar problem and resolved it by modifying the hutch or relocating it for example? Have you any other suggestions? Personally I think the hutch is probably too small for three very large rabbits so could this be a problem?

I'd rather raise this in a constructive rather than confrontational way and I respect their right to own these pets but if this persists then we would need to seek outside intervention for our own well being.

I appreciate any helpful advice.

Last edited:
I think you are right to speak with them. It is a sign of them feeling threatened and i don't think it is normal for them to do this all night. It could be a fox pestering them which is a risk to their safety and their apparent fear for several hours is a welfare issue. I would approach them from the angle that you have done some research because the noise bothers you but are concerned that they are clearly afraid to be thumping so much and it could be a fox. Foxes can and do get hutches open and kill rabbits. The rabbits need to feel and be safe, then they should no longer constantly thump. Better accomodation may indeed help them to feel happy.

They are definitely being spooked or threatened by something, probably a fox :(

What is their accommodation like? There may be some things the owners could do to protect the rabbits from the sight/smell of their perceived threat and make them feel more secure :wave:

I agree that it could be a predator spooking them.

What kind of set up do they have, if they are on a wooden floor then maybe it could be floored with rubber stable matting to cushion the thumping?

You also mention that you feel their hutch is rather small for three large rabbits. Take a look at the housing stickies on here and you will get an idea of what rabbits reallly should have.

I wish all neighbours would try to approach problems like this, the world would be better for it.

Hello again and thanks for the responses.

Their accommodation is a wooden construction, certainly seems newish and is in good condition from what I can see. I would say it is 'custom' designed for rabbits - it's not a cobbled together construction by any means - and appears to be secure and weather proofed as you would want and expect. There is a run and this is only ring-fenced up to a foot and a half or so as opposed to totally enclosed from above so they won't be able to access it at night (if being cooped up is the problem). Size-wise its more like the one in this photo although possibly not quite as big http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1492522#post1492522 and thank you tulsi for suggesting I look there.

I am quite sure they are very well cared for indeed and they seem to get plenty of attention so I have no concerns for their welfare (but like I said I am not an expert) other than the risk from predator. We do have various nocturnal predators, including foxes and owls, here as we are rural so that would certainly make sense.

What I've gleaned so far, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the thumping is usually a 'defensive' behaviour and is to be expected occasionally [naturally] but persistent agitation, as in this case, might harm the animals welfare. The thumping is usually against the floor as opposed to a side wall.

I will try to catch up with them later and will discuss these suggestions and perhaps even suggest a rubber stable matting as Kermit mentions.

Thanks again

Yes, it's quite likely they are reacting to something they feel is a threat and they are warning everyone else to run and hide. You should be taking that as a cue to race back to your warren and avoid getting eaten :)

It might be that something like a fox has recently moved into the area or passes through. To a rabbit mesh is not secure (you can see through it!) they don't know it will stop a predator physically getting to them. There are cases where rabbits have died from shock/stress where a predator has attempted to get in even though they didn't have a mark on them.

I would certainly look at deterring the predator in the first instance, also at security in general (foxes can jump 6', dig under mesh and chew plywood) and also making sure they have an enclosed area to hide in. Night time shutters may also help so the hutch feels more enclosed without them having to spend the whole time in the sleeping area.

Certainly changing the hutch design should help with the loudness of the noise, but the owners will want to address what is stressing them out as well :)

mine thump outside and i do here them at times :oops: its very loud! and i often worry about the neighbors - we get foxes which i think sets them off-despite the fact they cant see them-it has got better but i may have to ask if they are too nosiey and put mats in their-at least over winter- to absorb the noise :oops:

Just wanted to say that I think it could possibly just be a size of hutch issue, as when Bugsy was temporarily in a smaller cage for a week after her spay she was thumping all night every night. But unless something like that has changed or they just got the rabbits I guess it's more likely to be predators. But they do stamp when angry to so it's possible it's that if they added a rabbit or if they've grown up and that's reduced their space for example.

If it is a predator problem then rabbits feel much safer inside a shed and very rarely thump then. It could also be that the rabbits have reached an age when one or more wants to be the dominant one, or one of them wants to be mated with. They thump in both of these situations. Good luck!

Hello again and thank you for your replies - very helpful indeed.

Peculiarly, I did post a response after tulsi's (on the 16th) and it went off for moderator approval but never appeared which is strange.

Anyhow, this is the story: I approached the neighbours and explained that we were being disturbed by the rabbits and as I expected they were aware of it too. The hutch has been relocated and whilst we can hear it sometimes it is not the problem that it was.

As for the suggestions given here they are all useful and I have recommended a few things 'in the nicest possible way'.

We live in a rural area and I know for a fact that there are foxes and badgers roaming around at night as well as owls. This is probably a likely cause. As for the other suggestions, particularly tonibun's, then I will take your word for it and it certainly sounds plausible.

I think the hutch is probably adequate, despite my comment in the original post. It is certainly custom-built rabbit accommodation, looks secure and is as far as I can see robust and weather proofed and I know they get lots of attention so I would not suspect any welfare issues in the slightest. Having looked at the images of hutches, as suggested by tulsi, I think it is more than adequate. Having said that what FondueKid has said could be very valid and highly possible.

So I am happy to say I think we have resolved the issue nicely but as far as predator deterrence goes I think our options are a little limited given where we live - our gardens back onto fields and there are numerous gaps for them to make their respective ways into and through the gardens. I saw, not so long ago, a vixen with her cubs happily strolling through our garden on a seemingly well trodden path across my lawn.

Lucy24 - you could ask them if you are worried but some people could sleep soundly through a world war so in asking them they may subconsciously listen out for it so maybe wait for them to talk to you. You could just strike up a general conversation about pets and see if that creates a response.

Thanks again!

im glad you managed to talk to them and that its a bit better- thankfully i only have neighbors one side and most of the time there dogs bark is nosier than my rabbits at the moment :roll:
:wave:

Back