• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Guinea pig bleeding!

Delta

Warren Scout
We have 3 female Guinea pigs and after getting them out earlier noticed one of them had some blood on her. I couldn't see where it was coming from but thought maybe she'd been nipped by one of the others. My partner cleaned the cage out and we put them back. I've just given them their evening veggies and noticed fresh blood. My question is do Guinea pigs have seasons like dogs as it seems to be coming from that area although I can't be sure its not from her bum. She's eating and drinking fine and seems happy in herself.
Thanks in advance for any help

We have 3 female Guinea pigs and after getting them out earlier noticed one of them had some blood on her. I couldn't see where it was coming from but thought maybe she'd been nipped by one of the others. My partner cleaned the cage out and we put them back. I've just given them their evening veggies and noticed fresh blood. My question is do Guinea pigs have seasons like dogs as it seems to be coming from that area although I can't be sure its not from her bum. She's eating and drinking fine and seems happy in herself.
Thanks in advance for any help

I don't think they do. Could be anything. Is she bleeding a lot?

Bleeding is normally from the bladder, unfortunately. Infection or bladder stones. The hardest part is obviously to find out which pig it is. Watch out for any of them squeaking when weeing or pooing, and squinting their eyes/putting their bums high in the air.

I know which one it is thankfully so thats one problem solved. Ooh well if they don't come into season she will be off to the vets tomorrow!
Its not like the whole cage is covered in blood but its enough for me to be worried. Its not just on her fur its little droplets round the cage though.
I'd rather get it checked out even if its just peace of mind x

I know which one it is thankfully so thats one problem solved. Ooh well if they don't come into season she will be off to the vets tomorrow!
Its not like the whole cage is covered in blood but its enough for me to be worried. Its not just on her fur its little droplets round the cage though.
I'd rather get it checked out even if its just peace of mind x

Could she have been bitten? I think with UTI's, the blood is generally mixed with urine. I would be a bit concerned if the bleeding doesn't stop..at least I would if it was a rabbit. I don't have much experience with pigs.

Sending her vibes. x

Well the blood is definatly coming out of that area so I don't think its a bite and i'm thinking it looks more like its coming from her bum but I can't see any blood mixed with poo either. Think its going to have to be one for the vets. 2nd Guinea pig in a week for the vets lol. They cost more than the rabbit! x

My vet told me that because the blood is heavier than urine, it tends to get expelled when the bladder is at its emptiest. So you could get some wees with no noticeable blood (although it would show up on a stick test), then some bright red blood is expelled all at once.

My vet told me that because the blood is heavier than urine, it tends to get expelled when the bladder is at its emptiest. So you could get some wees with no noticeable blood (although it would show up on a stick test), then some bright red blood is expelled all at once.

You are most likely right! :thumb:

Keep us posted won't you? :)

Yeh will do! I think if she wasn't eating, drinking and happy I'd be more concerned but definatly vets today x

Well i've taken biscuit to the vets and as is typical there wasn't a sign of blood and it didn't look like she's lost anymore today. The vet couldn't explain why she had bled but he checked her over and said her bladder wasn't swollen and she wasn't crying out in pain with his prodding. He said he didn't want to prescribe something unnessercerily so if it happens again he will give her antibiotics but for now just keep an eye on her x

The exact same thing happened to one of our piggies except we couldn't work out which one it was. We took both to vets but no symptoms so no treatment and it never happened again!

glad piggy is ok. this seems to happen to other piggies on the piggy forum aswell. sometimes they do some blood red wee's. maisie did this once and scared me to death. :roll: went to the vets and had her urine tested and her checked over, and nothing! i was glad obviously but it didn't half scare me.

Piggies sound even worse than bunnies! :shock: :lol:

Glad she seems fine. :) Fingers crossed she continues with no problems. :)

Back