• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benni's not himself, worried :(

EBM

Mama Doe
Benni's got a vet appointment in just under an hour, but just wondered if anyone on here could send some advice/vibes.
We were on holiday last week and the bunnies boarded while we were away, they came home on Friday. Benni gets quite stressed when traveling so when he wasn't quite himself when we got home I thought he just still needed a while to settle back down. Yesterday he wasn't very interested in food, would eat a small bit then go back to flop in the litter tray or sit quietly in the corner. When they had their pellets he ate one bit then went away again :( not like him at all.
I couldn't really tell if he was pooing as they both use the same litter tray so I separated them for a couple of hours and they only poo he did was a smelly one that should normally be eaten kind. I hope he'll be ok, I'm worried as I go back to work this afternoon too so won't be around :?

Poor bun sounds like he could have tummy issues, could they have fed him something he's not used to at the boarding place? Has he ever had problems with his teeth?

Sending loads of vibes for him xxxxxx

Poor bun sounds like he could have tummy issues, could they have fed him something he's not used to at the boarding place? Has he ever had problems with his teeth?

Sending loads of vibes for him xxxxxx

Thank you, setting off now. Not that I know of, they said just SS pellets (which hes used to) small bit of veg, and hay redigrass. All of which he has at home.

thank you, he had an emeprid injection and has SS recovery food - which has been messy so far but he is taking a little. He's going back to the vets tomorrow morning

been back to vets this morning, saw a different vet who I preferred. Benni's had pain meds and another injection to get his gut moving.
Got about 10mls of recovery food down him when we got home, I've separated the buns (they can still see eachother) to see if he poos.
He's going back in again tomorrow, but if he's not better they are going to admit him, she said if I'm worried today I can take him back in. Have to go to work again this afternoon though :( fingers crossed

hes very quiet now, lying in his litter tray with eyes closed. I've tried to give him more food but when i squirt in into the side of his mouth he wont lick it up now. maybe I should call the vets again, he might need to be admitted earlier? :cry:

hes very quiet now, lying in his litter tray with eyes closed. I've tried to give him more food but when i squirt in into the side of his mouth he wont lick it up now. maybe I should call the vets again, he might need to be admitted earlier? :cry:

What pain relief did he have ?

If it was an opiate eg Vetergesic that will make him very drowsy.

What pain relief did he have ?

If it was an opiate eg Vetergesic that will make him very drowsy.

yes it was vetergesic, I will keep a close eye on him and make a decision soon. He's done a couple of tiny hard poos but that is all so far.
Thank you for your help

yes it was vetergesic, I will keep a close eye on him and make a decision soon. He's done a couple of tiny hard poos but that is all so far.
Thank you for your help

The sedating effects of Vetergesic should wear off after about 4 hours. Maybe a bit longer especially in older or overweight Rabbits.

I do wish Vets would inform clients about the sedating effect of opiates :?

Had a long chat on the phone to Caroline at rabbit residence, she was so so helpful.
Just had the best text ever from my OH saying that Benni has been eating dandelions :)

Back