• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone think these rabbits sound uncared for?

BigBunnyBenji

Mama Doe
I was just browsing the web, and I found a pair of two 9 month of continentals being sold in my area for £25 (the pair).

The information says they are needing to be rehomed, and that the female may be pregnant due to a recent escape attempt.

Firstly, they should have been neutered really, and they can't be in a rabbit proofed area if they escaped. It says that they are outdoor rabbits, which makes me concerned that maybe a fox could get in? :(

I feel so sorry for them, I desperately want to take them but my OH would never let me bring home another two rabbits. :(

It's a slippery slope browsing the net and looking at bunnies... Dangerous combo... Especially if it's a bunny breed close to the heart. There are so many sad stories... :(

Really know what you mean though. x

It's a slippery slope browsing the net and looking at bunnies... Dangerous combo... Especially if it's a bunny breed close to the heart. There are so many sad stories... :(

Really know what you mean though. x

I know :(

I have always wanted a conti as well. They just need so much space.

Nope, even the best owners sometimes have accidents/escapes, and whilst neutering is a good idea if their needs are otherwise met it's certainly not a sign of neglect - plus it could simply be they are still youngsters.

I would stay away from free ads, there is invariably a sad story or two and I concur its' a dangerous combo - it's easy to get into trouble trying to help.

Not necessarily. Slipper is an indoor rabbit, but I let him out in the garden to play when the weathers nice. I don't any more though as 2 weeks ago, he jumped a 4ft fence and led me and my neighbour on a merry dance round the estate to catch him. I thought my garden was bunny proofed, I'd have never guessed a dwarf lop could jump so high!

And the neutering thing, I wouldn't judge without knowing the reasoning behind it. Slipper has just been done at 2 years old. I got him as 3 month old baby - but since have separated from my ex and gotten divorced so he kept him for me for a year whilst money was tight and I was living in unsuitable accommodation. Now I have him (Slipper) back and a lovely house, I've got him neutered and vaccinated and am in the process of getting a larger cage and a run for the garden is being delivered today so he can play without escaping again.

They may have gotten in over their heads with a pair of giant rabbits. They may not have realised how big they grow etc etc. they wouldn't be the first owners to buy on a whim and realise later they've bitten off more than they can chew and sadly, they won't be the last. Some people rise to the challenge, and others don't. It doesn't make them bad people, just naive and you could argue they're doing the right thing for their bunnies by rehoming them rather than keeping and neglecting them.

Back