• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice before getting rabbits

Steele

New Kit
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I apologise if I post this in the wrong area :)

We are currently in the process of building a rabbit house and run outside so we don't currently have rabbits at the moment but I am looking for some advice before we do get them.

We are looking netherland rabbits and as we are having to keep them outside we are ideally looking to have 2 so they have company at all times with them being outside. We rent and our despite it being no pets our landlord has kindly agreed that we may have rabbits on the condition they are outside at all times.

We initially thought of getting 2 siblings so they have company from the beginning but when researching this seems to have a few issues, if they are the same sex they can fight at a young age before we manage to spray/ neuter them, or mixed sex and then have them breeding before we can spray neuter them both situations seen risky and unfair on the rabbits until theyve been sprayed or neutered.

The other option we've looked at is getting one rabbit having it sprayed/neutered and time to recover and then getting a second rabbit but there is the risk of the bond not working and a rabbit needing to be rehomed, this also adds the worry about where the second rabbit would live while we are bonding them as I dont like hutches for them (I had a rabbit years ago who was a house rabbit so hutches now seem too small even with runs attached)

If anyone has any advice on the best way to have 2 living together happily it would be appreciated, I'm an over thinker and over worrier so I've been stuck trying to decide the best way to have them living happily :)

Hello and welcome :) The easiest/best thing would be to adopt two from a rescue, then they would be already spayed/neutered, vaccinated and bonded :)

Hi :) thank you for replying sorry I did mean to put in the post I have been looking at adoption (I keep checking local rescues) as I would love to give rabbits a home that need one,

I keep finding larger rabbits though but as I have wrist and shoulder problems I worry they would be too heavy to lift if they get unwell when my partner is at work which is why we thought of getting Netherlands with them being much smaller.

I had a lovely Rex rabbit years ago who was very heavy and would be a struggle to lift if I had her now (the vets said she was a rex but was larger than ones they'd seen even though she was a good weight).

I'm at home all the time so it would primarily be myself doing things as my partner works long hours, I have a 10 and 11year old who would be able to help (they already help me with our fish and tortoise) but if a rabbit fell ill it would be me needing to lift and carry if that makes sense :)

There are lots of quite small rabbits, although Nethies are v small but very lively. I have had lionhead crosses that weighed less than 2kg.

Good luck in your search. Nethies are cute but they are often (based on many accounts I've read on here) a nightmare to handle - they're so fast & clever. I know weight is your primary concern but how easy they are to pick up to medicate, groom etc is worthy of consideration.

I'd call rescues & let them know you're after a small pair of bonded rabbits - it will prob be possible to bare you in mind when new arrivals come in

I've seen them they look really lovely though I've only seen them online lol, oh that's good if they don't weigh much either thank you :) x

That's a good idea with calling the rescues I've been looking at their web pages at the moment but not finding anything so I'll get in touch with them as we'd love to rehome if we can and already being bonded would make it much easier long term as I worry one would be lonely until we got a second if we did the get one then get another route thank you :) I will make sure I check temperaments too for medicating and grooming, I think I got very lucky with my last rabbit who had brilliant calm personality but I didn't know much about rabbits at the time of getting her :)

Good luck in your search. Nethies are cute but they are often (based on many accounts I've read on here) a nightmare to handle - they're so fast & clever. I know weight is your primary concern but how easy they are to pick up to medicate, groom etc is worthy of consideration.

I'd call rescues & let them know you're after a small pair of bonded rabbits - it will prob be possible to bare you in mind when new arrivals come in

True. Their personality is often like German Hunting terrier or Malionois or Robrovskii in the hamster world. :D They are often "I don't like to be touched!" rabbits, with some out of the box clicker training they can get handled, basic knowledge of shaping, targeting, operant, clasical and counterconditioning is very helpfull. And they often have teeth problems (too short muzzle). I would rather have rex breed (soft bedding as they are prone to sore hocks due to thin fur on feet and they are prone to obesity so a large exercise pen and healthy nutrition is even mor eimportant).

Hi, I did read that not all of them like to be touched or cuddled which is something we don't mind, we have a Tortoise (who lives in his own secure house and won't be able to interact with rabbits) and any petting him is strictly his terms only which we don't mind at all, my children are 11 and 12 so are used to showing him their hand to see his he wants to be stroked and if he he doesn't they know its just watching him only so they understand some rabbits are the same with not wanting to be petted or cuddled as they all have different personalities. Following a recommendation yesterday I have emailed some rescue centres to see if they have any small breeds for adoption and have been researching other breeds such as the lion heads someone suggested just so we have more ideas of diet, grooming space ect :) Rex's are lovely arnt they! My previous rabbit was a Rex was the loveliest rabbit I could have asked for, she was really well house trained and could happily have free run of the house with no worries about what she was up to and loved cuddles which was down to her temperament, if size/weight wasn't an issue I would happily have another as I do think they are lovely rabbits with brilliant personalitys :)

I don't know how tiny you are or if you have any disability. But for my 56 kg I find much easier to lift 10kg (and rex weights way less) then catching and "fighting" with medicine with 1kg Nethie. :D

My vets always sights when I bring Sherlock for his dental every 4-5 months.... And he is so pleased and relaxed when i bring my mini rex.

My previous Rabbit was quite heavy (the vets who told me her breed said they were surprised how large she was despite being a healthy weight) that's why we're wary of getting a bigger rabbit now as we don't want to get one and him/her be too big for me to lift when I need to and decided to look for small breeds even though she was really easy to lift and carry at the time.

We're looking at other small breeds with people on here saying the Netherlands are difficult for handling so a different breed will probably be better :)

I have damage to my wrist and shoulders from disabilities which means anything too heavy can cause pain which is why we're having to stick with small breeds :)

Don't forget to factor in acarrier when you'ere thinking about weight: our Catit Cabrio is fabulous but weighs an awful lot! :) My two are over 2kg but everyone always says they're big bunnies (they're actually 'medium') so looking at smaller, more wild-sized breeds/mixes such as Dutches or anything dinky is a great start :D I agree, nethies are not REAL rabbits, they're cute balls of rabbit-shaped energy! Like a Collie or Cocker Spaniel, but teeny tiny.

If you go down the rescue route, you will get a better idea of how big they will get. They will be a little older to be neutered, so their adult size will be more apparent. If you get cute babies eg from a pet shop, you don't really know how big they will get.

That's a good idea for factoring in the carrier thank you, I'll make sure to check that when we get one as it will add additional weight.

I think a few I've looked at today are mixed breeds, the good thing with looking while we're still in the building stage is we have time to look at different breeds and get advice now instead of rushing to get them :)

I would prefer rescue/adoption for some that already need homes to be honest, as much as babies are cute they don't stay babies for long, and theirs always older rabbits needing homes which would be nicer and as you said you know what size they are or going to be rather than the pet shop route and us realising their too big for me to handle if I'm on my own :)

thank you all for the advice so far I do appreciate it :)

I would prefer rescue/adoption for some that already need homes to be honest, as much as babies are cute they don't stay babies for long, and theirs always older rabbits needing homes which would be nicer and as you said you know what size they are or going to be rather than the pet shop route and us realising their too big for me to handle if I'm on my own :)
Our local Pets@Home definitely had a few giant-looking rabbits in a number of times over the years, they look the same size as the rest at that age! The ears are a giveaway ;P Many rescues are really helpful at working to your needs :)

That's what worries me with Pet shops, I go into our local Pets at home for other pet supplies and always end up looking at the the rabbits as I pass and some of them look big already :)

I messaged a few rescue centres yesterday and keep looking to see if we can find anywhere else that has rabbits that need rehoming :)

I did ask about housing requirements when I emailed the rescue centres so we have time to make any changes but I will also have a read through the link you sent me too so we can make sure we're getting things right for them :)

I had a house rabbit previously so having rabbits outdoors is new to me with house/run sizes and insulation ect so I keep trying to learn as much as I can so when we get them they can be happy :)

Back