• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about bunny with pink eye

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
This evening i noticed my rabbit has a pink lower eyelid on the right side that looks a tiny bit inflamed.

The other eye lid looks white and healthy. There is no discharge around her eyes except a little bit of sleep and she was eating hay when I saw her eye.

She saw the vet last week who said he thought she had allergies (which is what another vet had said a couple of months ago) because she has been sneezing a lot but shows no other symptoms of snuffles.

Do you think this could be linked?

Her teeth were ok too when vet looked.

Im really stumped.

What does anyone think? Im in panic mode thinking she has mixi (she was vacinated last in July) :(

I'd take her to the vets tomorrow if I was you.

Are your vets rabbit savvy? If she sneezes a lot, I would probably ask for a swab done to see what is going on etc.

I would hope that she's just got a bit of hay in it, which has irritated her eye. Keep a close eye on it, and check her genitals (swelling around there would indicate myxi), as long as she is eating and happy, I wouldn't worry too much. x

I'd take her to the vets tomorrow if I was you.

Are your vets rabbit savvy? If she sneezes a lot, I would probably ask for a swab done to see what is going on etc.

I would hope that she's just got a bit of hay in it, which has irritated her eye. Keep a close eye on it, and check her genitals (swelling around there would indicate myxi), as long as she is eating and happy, I wouldn't worry too much. x

Thank you for replying. I will call the vets first thing. Her ladies bits arent swollen at all and she nearly ate my hand off with some bribery treats so i could try to see her bum.

It still looks a little red and i hope you are right and its just a bit of vicious hay went in it. She is a recently vaccinated house rabbit and lives on the 3rd floor but i know there has been mixi in the area and i have seen a few mosquitos :(

Im such a worry wart :) x

Thank you for replying. I will call the vets first thing. Her ladies bits arent swollen at all and she nearly ate my hand off with some bribery treats so i could try to see her bum.

It still looks a little red and i hope you are right and its just a bit of vicious hay went in it. She is a recently vaccinated house rabbit and lives on the 3rd floor but i know there has been mixi in the area and i have seen a few mosquitos :(

Im such a worry wart :) x

Don't worry, I'm the same. :lol: It will be very unlikely to be myxi, the combined vaccine is much more effective than older one, and having her indoors reduces the risk even further. :)

I took Nettle to the vet yesterday for the same kind of thing and that turned out to be a little ulcer under her eyelid, probably caused by a bit of hay poking in it. We have antibiotic ointment to put in it twice a day, and her painkillers have been extended (she was spayed on Thursday, poor love).

I took Nettle to the vet yesterday for the same kind of thing and that turned out to be a little ulcer under her eyelid, probably caused by a bit of hay poking in it. We have antibiotic ointment to put in it twice a day, and her painkillers have been extended (she was spayed on Thursday, poor love).

Oh noes! hope your bunny is ok soon :(

Don't worry, I'm the same. :lol: It will be very unlikely to be myxi, the combined vaccine is much more effective than older one, and having her indoors reduces the risk even further. :)

I have stopped manically googling mixi symptoms now and watching her every move. She is getting rather fed up of me looking at her :)

Back