• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male rabbit territorial behaviour towards new male rabbit???

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
I have a male conti who lives with his wife a female frenchie, they are both neutered and bonded. I have just acquired another male frenchie 10 wks old who will not be living with them or even seeing them as he is a house rabbit and has access to the garden when they are in their shed.
I have noticed my male conti is looking very cheesed off in the garden when he can smell where the other rabbit has been, he is digging where the baby frenchie has weed, and pooing everywhere which is not like him, he is generally looking pizzed off that another rabbit has been in his garden, is this normal? will it pass? is there anything I should be doing? Hallie his wife does not seem bothered at all, Reuben the conti also throws his toys around the shed when he can hear the baby frenchie in the garden....any suggestions???:wave:

Imagine you are the male conti, got a patch of garden that you see as yours, and you notice another rabbit has been on your patch. You too would be removing his scent and leaving your own markings (the smelly poos) to show this new rabbit that this area is your patch, keep away.

Despite the neutering, scent is still important to rabbits. It defines home. Having another male mark that area (and being unneutered I imagine the youngster is being quite liberal with his scent) is a little unsettling and requires investigation/remarking the area. I imagine you'll find that it settles down over time as he gets used to the smell/sound. Just keep an eye out for any aggression between the pair and sometimes a frustrated rabbit that can't get to the other will take it out on the closest rabbit they can reach.

So how do rescues etc cope when they have bonded pairs and new rabbits coming and going? I assume they may share an exercise area although not at the same time of course. ..do they have bonds break down just because another bunny has used the same area? My baby frenchie isn't living close to my bonded pair and I have purposely not let him use Reuben and Hallie run. ..but I do have to let him use the garden. ..although like I said only when they are in their shed... I would be heart broken if their bond broke down because I added another bunny. ..I thought it would be ok if yhry never saw each other or lived close by....
Reuben has been doing the odd wee in his shed not in his litter box which is unusual for him....when he hears the frenchie outside...Hallie has started to dig her litter again which she hasn't done since being spayed...they are still cuddling up together and grooming each other...but I am worried sick now it may affect their bond...
Should I spray disinfectant where the new bunny wees in the garden?
He will be neutered when old enough.
Thanks for the advice x

Back