• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for a homemade run cover?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
I have an outside run for my buns, which I bought a cover for when I got it however its pretty flimsy and I think I need to think about a new one before the weather gets horrific or they are going to be stuck in their hutch a lot more than I'd like in winter. Has anyone else made one themselves? And if so what did you use? Thanks :)

What about a runaround tube to attach them together :p

I use clear tarpauling, my run has 4 panels on top, the middle 2 open out so I have a loose piece of tarpauling I weigh down with bricks but the end panels have the tarpauling cable tied down which is working well :)

Or you could use that hard plastic stuff, I can't remember the name though.. Corrugated plastic?

Yes, some sheets of corrugated plastic (clear) from B&Q should work fine - it's what we have on top of our outdoor run. Just have some method to hold them down properly to avoid them sliding/blowing off. I'd suggest drill some holes carefully and use string/rope to tie the roof to the run, or to some stakes in the ground (think tent...)

Also I'd suggest putting something at one end so there's a slight slope, so rain water can slide off.

I tried tarpaulin sheets before personally but found they sagged down with water, even when trying to put them at an angle? Not sure how you got yours set up. Some pics maybe? :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I love the idea of the runaround stuff but currently their hutch is housed in a garden shed, and their run is separate, so that's not feasible at the moment. The corrugated plastic sounds like a good idea, I'll just need to work out a way to be able to move it often, as my run is collapsible so the roof has four panels that fold right back.

Good tip re: the slope. I have that problem with the cover I have now, the water collects and I can't remove it without basically soaking the run, which defeats the object, and if it rains hard and it will start dripping anyway so the buns still get wet.

Back