• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size is your bedding area?

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
I'm not sure what size my bedding area should be for the girls. I have two dutchies, but I don't know how big their sleeping bits need to be. Thank you.

Last edited:
The actual 'bed' area is 2' by 2', and they have a den downstairs too and in bad weather I cover part of downstairs with plywood and more of the top with a tarp :)
Usually they sleep in their 'lounge' so they can spy on the world. They love to spy. :p

I have indoor buns and they each have a room to themselves.
apart from angel and bailey who have a puppy pen around a ferplast cage and they choose to sleep on the memory foam pillow :love:

it i had outdoor buns id buy a shed or a ryedale 6ft or bigger hutch.

I have inside rabbits, they have the spare room to themselves and there's an extra large dog crate in there and then a cheap pet carrier in that. Harriet likes to hide away in it but they both prefer to sleep in the middle of the room. If they were outside I'd want it snug but roomy for the two of them, so probably 2ft wide and then obviously the recommended depth/height (which I think are both 2/3ft). And, again obviously, you'll need a second hidey space if they want to be apart.

I would say 2'x18" or 2'x2'. You want it big enough for two rabbits stretched out but small enough to feel safe and enclosed. And keep in mind if it's outdoors, then in winter you want space for extra bedding and two rabbits :lol:

I'm going to get a custom built hutch with all the mod cons (rubber matting, rubber bases to the hutch and run, lights, removable insulation blocks, removable ramps, shelves, windbreakers and all with a rather fancy design ;) ) :thumb:, I can't have anymore animals indoors, it looks like a zoo, so I want to give them a mansion outside.

I was thinking about having a three tier hutch and having two 2x2x2 bedding areas on the top and middle floors, with the bottom floor having a solid front (with a couple of wire intervals for air). I'll upload a pic later, I'm currently (badly) designing it.

Btw would you put a light in their sleeping area or not? I was thinking of putting it just outside so it shines it but without being too bright.

I didn't have any bedding areas built into my custom hutch as mine just use it as a massive litter tray they have never snuggled in it, even in the winter. I just had a covered door at one end with a huge litter tray behind it (no partition inside) so they have the shelter as such but it works well inside with the open layout.

I'm going to get a custom built hutch with all the mod cons (rubber matting, rubber bases to the hutch and run, lights, removable insulation blocks, removable ramps, shelves, windbreakers and all with a rather fancy design ;) ) :thumb:, I can't have anymore animals indoors, it looks like a zoo, so I want to give them a mansion outside.

I was thinking about having a three tier hutch and having two 2x2x2 bedding areas on the top and middle floors, with the bottom floor having a solid front (with a couple of wire intervals for air). I'll upload a pic later, I'm currently (badly) designing it.

Btw would you put a light in their sleeping area or not? I was thinking of putting it just outside so it shines it but without being too bright.

Well the bed area is meant to replicate their burrow, and burrows are underground in the dark... so I don't think a light would be a good idea. Whenever my Bella gets freaked out she goes and hides somewhere dark :) it makes them feel safe. Plus we turn our lights off before we go to bed. :)

Well the bed area is meant to replicate their burrow, and burrows are underground in the dark... so I don't think a light would be a good idea. Whenever my Bella gets freaked out she goes and hides somewhere dark :) it makes them feel safe. Plus we turn our lights off before we go to bed. :)

My girls have always faced our outside light (which we have to deter people and cats) it's on all night, but when we get the new one we'll have to turn it so it doesn't face the light, we did this once with the current set-up but they got really freaked and stomped their feet all night, I think they're just so used to the light that they are on edge when it's taken away.

However I think I'll put a single dim light in the middle of each floor, so the bedding areas aren't lit so much, but they can still see (I especially worry with them being able to see the ramp at night)

I didn't have any bedding areas built into my custom hutch as mine just use it as a massive litter tray they have never snuggled in it, even in the winter. I just had a covered door at one end with a huge litter tray behind it (no partition inside) so they have the shelter as such but it works well inside with the open layout.

I need a sleeping area because on of my buns is prone to the snuffles so needs to be kept warm, even though she will be a pain and sit out in the run when it's snowing :roll:.

However I've decided that I'll get a plastic container that's the same size as the bedding area and cut down the side where the entrance is, so that it will catch any bits, whilst being big enough to lounge in and will be so much easier to clean. Although my hutch will be 7ft so I should have enough room for a proper litter tray ;)

Back