• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why is discharge coming out of my bunny???

sazzab278

New Kit
Hello I've just been sat with my 9 week old bunny and next to me she has left a creamy mucus like discharge that's come from her genitals, I've only had her 3 days and never had rabbits before is this normal or should I take her to the vets?? I've tried to research it on the Internet and its only coming up with discharge coming out of eyes and noses... Please help?? :(:(

I have no idea what it is but I would definitely go to the vets as soon as you can.

Someone with more knowledge of this may come along soon but in the meantime I would make an appointment, better safe than sorry.

Is your rabbit still active and eating OK?

I've made an appointment and I've told them on the phone whats happened, they didn't seem too worried as she is still eating and drinking as normal but said if it carries on happening take her in, I'll just keep an eye on her but as I said I've never had rabbits before so didn't know what it was! I think she will be ok she's hoping round happily enough but just wanted some reassurance on it and wanted to see if any 1 had experienced it too! Thank u for replying :)

What's a bladder sludge?????:(

It's when their bladder becomes sluggish due to too much calcium (I believe, don't quote me on that), it makes their wee thick and painful to pass. She needs to see a vet as soon as possible, she will be very uncomfortable.

I've made an appointment and I've told them on the phone whats happened, they didn't seem too worried as she is still eating and drinking as normal but said if it carries on happening take her in, I'll just keep an eye on her but as I said I've never had rabbits before so didn't know what it was! I think she will be ok she's hoping round happily enough but just wanted some reassurance on it and wanted to see if any 1 had experienced it too! Thank u for replying :)

Hi it could be an infection best to see the vet and nip it in the bud before it affects her eating and drinking, i had a female 8 week old puppy who had discharge coming from her and it was an infection in the uterus even at that young age , so better to be safe than sorry...

Last edited:
As she is only 9 weeks old I very much doubt it is bladder sludge. It is more likely that this is a GI tract issue I think :?

As she is only 9 weeks old I very much doubt it is bladder sludge. It is more likely that this is a GI tract issue I think :?

I would be very concerned that it may be coming from anus and suggest problem in gut as jacks Jane says. It will not be badder sludge at this age. If gut problems young buns can still back act lively and eat until go downhill rapidly. I would take to a good rabbit vets along with sample of the liquid

Her poos are healthy, if it came out of her anus wouldn't it affect them too?

Mucus can be passed with normal looking poo during the very early stage of a GI tract problem

Your best bet is to wait to see what the Vet finds on examination

I am assuming you are certain that your Rabbit is a Doe ?

Hi it could be an infection best to see the vet and nip it in the bud before it affects her eating and drinking, i had a female 8 week old puppy who had discharge coming from her and it was an infection in the uterus even at that young age , so better to be safe than sorry...
I did see this on the Internet and did consider it as she had only done it once so far but like u say I'd rather be safe and take her to be checked out

this may be of interest -even at 9 weeks apparently

It sounds like your rabbit's clearish white discharge and swollen vagina is due to normal stimulation by estrogen which is produced by a female rabbit almost continuously unlike in humans and other mammals who have a menstrual cycle and estrus cycles. Female rabbits are almost continuously sexually-stimulated so that they will sometimes even mount other female rabbits if males aren't available.
The discharge and swelling is not due to an infection. If she had uterine pyometra (a vaginal discharge caused by pathogenic organisms) then the discharge would be yellow-colored and have a foul smell and she would have an elevated temperature and diarrhea/vomiting/anorexia.
While she has the clear discharge and swollen vulva she should be encouraged to rest since over-stimulation could increase her hormones which will increase the discharge and the swelling of her vulva.
Offer her a nutritious diet of hay, carrots, and her usual favorites, keep her environment clean, always make sure she has easily accessible fresh water at all times, and make sure she has normal rabbit feces without diarrhea.
If the discharge turns yellow then I recommend that you have her treated in person

Yes I do need to get her vaccinated as I would like to put her out in the garden when it's nice I'll just take her to the vets, thank you for all your advise! :)

well done to you to listening to it and getting her sorted.

Mucus can be passed with normal looking poo during the very early stage of a GI tract problem

Your best bet is to wait to see what the Vet finds on examination

I am assuming you are certain that your Rabbit is a Doe ?
I bought her from a pet store 3 days ago and they say she's a doe so I only have their word I suppose?

Back