• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care after spaying - any advice please?

WelshGirl

Young Bun
My little new girl is due to be spayed tomorrow, and I was just wondering how long it might take for her to heal and how I could help her? She is separate from our boy bunny anyway as I wanted to try bonding after she'd recovered from spaying - the vet said after 10 days minimum.

My husband's children are with us for the week and even with the best of intentions will make quite a bit of noise and i'm assuming she'll need quiet to heal? So I think I will move her into our room for a few days...

Any advice would be much appreciated xx

Girls need a bit longer than boys to heal from neutering. Jelly was very weak after surgery and slept for the whole day (her op was in the morning). Normally they won't eat or drink much after op so when she is awake you have to attempt her to eat something. I just left them alone and let them sleep really. Try to avoid young kids around them - especially picking up must be avoided. Mine buns hate to be touched for around a week and appear quite aggressive, but it will be better very quickly. I think soft bedding like puppy pads were very helpful during their healing process as they can pee and poop quite easily and you can just change straight away. Good luck and sending early healing vibes to your little girl :love:

Girls need a bit longer than boys to heal from neutering. Jelly was very weak after surgery and slept for the whole day (her op was in the morning). Normally they won't eat or drink much after op so when she is awake you have to attempt her to eat something. I just left them alone and let them sleep really. Try to avoid young kids around them - especially picking up must be avoided. Mine buns hate to be touched for around a week and appear quite aggressive, but it will be better very quickly. I think soft bedding like puppy pads were very helpful during their healing process as they can pee and poop quite easily and you can just change straight away. Good luck and sending early healing vibes to your little girl :love:

Thanks for replying so quickly :)

I thought as much, and I will keep her away from the children while she heals. I don't let them pick u the rabbits anyway as it scares them. But I will keep an eye on her and give her plenty of TLC and time to recover :)

Thank you :love:

I would ask the vet for extra pain relief to take home. They should give her an injection which will last 24hrs but its a pretty invasive op and they often need a few days extra pain relief.

Back