• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weird poops

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
I just came home from work and discovered these on my carpet

ehauqx.jpg

24o2jq9.jpg

The first one was huge almost like a cat few and there was 3 of the little poops around the carpet they were soft but no smell, there was a pile of normal round ball poop next to the litter tray :roll:
Why is she having poops like this? The only thing that's changed is I mix her meadow hay with Timothy hay and stopped giving her musli as she won't eat her pellets that way, she ate all her pellets yesterday. Her poop seems normal now as she dropped a few when she ran over to me :lol:

It probably is just the change in diet. If she's otherwise fine and still having normal poops too I'd just keep an eye on her. Hope it's a one time thing! :)

How old is she?
How many pellets are you feeding?

ETA Any change in diet (apart from hay) needs to be done very gradually - ie mix a few pellets in with her usual muesli and then over the course of, say, a fortnight, add more pellets and less muesli, so by the end of week three she should just be on pellets. A sudden change can upset their digestive system.

Incidentally, although pellets are generally favoured (I feed pellets) some people say muesli is fine, as long as the rabbit isn't selective feeding - ie it eats all the muesli and doesn't just pick out what she likes.

Last edited:
She's 5/6/7 months :lol: she was on pellets but my husband gave her musli and she liked it more than the pellets so I mixed it but again she would only eat the musli so the only way to get her on the pellets like I want is to not give any musli. She only has an egg cup of food

A sudden change in food - or not enough hay - can lead to strange poo.
I would keep a careful watch on her.

Back