• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone please tell me I'm doing the right thing

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
For waiting before adding another bunny to the mix

When we bought PomPom she was alone her tank, no-one for company as the other rabbits did and I'm glad they wasn't all together due to her being 3 times the size of the others :lol: She's 5/6/7 months :lol: according to the vet and a hormonal so n so *story of my life :lol: * I know how important rabbit company is but she's hostile due to hormones but she is getting spayed on Friday but I do feel incredibly guilty she's alone I try to spend as much time as I can but I can't spend all day with her as I have a 10 month old but I go to her when he's napping and when he goes to bed but I'm sure that's not enough. I've bought her lots of toys and you can hear her running around and jumping. I've tried to spend time with her when my sons awake but bless him he loves her sooo much already but doesn't obviously understand why the rabbit runs from the crawling baby :lol: when he sees her he says Pa Pa Pa his way of saying PomPom :love:
I was talking to a friend who also has rabbits and she made me feel utterly awful that I haven't gotten her a bunny friend, I really want to wait until she is spayed and settled but my friend thinks I'm silly for waiting. She doesn't believe in this bonding stuff and often buys bunnies on a whim for her collection I swear she'll be over run by bunnies soon :lol:

Is it wrong that I want to wait? I feel like I'm depriving poor PomPom from happiness

Forgot a pic!!! I have a habit of editing every one of my bunnies pictures like this :lol::oops:
2vj5pwj.jpg

Last edited:
For waiting before adding another bunny to the mix

When we bought PomPom she was alone her tank, no-one for company as the other rabbits did and I'm glad they wasn't all together due to her being 3 times the size of the others :lol: She's 5/6/7 months :lol: according to the vet and a hormonal so n so *story of my life :lol: * I know how important rabbit company is but she's hostile due to hormones but she is getting spayed on Friday but I do feel incredibly guilty she's alone I try to spend as much time as I can but I can't spend all day with her as I have a 10 month old but I go to her when he's napping and when he goes to bed but I'm sure that's not enough. I've bought her lots of toys and you can hear her running around and jumping. I've tried to spend time with her when my sons awake but bless him he loves her sooo much already but doesn't obviously understand why the rabbit runs from the crawling baby :lol: when he sees her he says Pa Pa Pa his way of saying PomPom :love:
I was talking to a friend who also has rabbits and she made me feel utterly awful that I haven't gotten her a bunny friend, I really want to wait until she is spayed and settled but my friend thinks I'm silly for waiting. She doesn't believe in this bonding stuff and often buys bunnies on a whim for her collection I swear she'll be over run by bunnies soon :lol:

Is it wrong that I want to wait? I feel like I'm depriving poor PomPom from happiness

Definitely wait! She needs to be spayed and her hormones need to settle down before she can have a friend, really.

You shouldn't be made to feel bad and tbh, if I was given that advice from someone who buys rabbits on a whim I wouldn't listen. My rabbits were on their own for nearly a year while I had Lola spayed and their new setup was being built, they were fine and they were outside so didn't get a whole lot of attention.

If you get her a friend now, she could get very territorial if you smell like another rabbit. If you bond them before then there is the risk of a fight breaking out and you paying out more than the cost of a spay as rabbits can really do some damage. If that happens then there is the possibility of you having 2 single rabbits who won't bond with each other. Bonding is best done 6-8 weeks after spaying to make sure all hormones are gone.

Personally, I don't have the nerves for bonding which is why both of my pairs were bonded by the rescue we had Kerbie from.

hiya

she is gorgeous....get her spayed and wait a good 8 weeks then decide but don't feel guilty she sounds very happy, your friend sounds like she is just trying to push her own guilty pleasure of having lots of rabbits onto you, how many has she got?

10?!??! :shock: not necessarily a bad thing, i just hope she's taken the necessary precautions eg vaccinating, neutering, spaying... :shock: you're definitely doing the rightt hing by waiting :D

If you intend to get another rabbit that is already neutered then you should wait. There is no way you can bond until she is healed from her op and is she is very hormonal then you are best waiting at least 6 weeks after that (to give her the best chance of been calm).

If you are going to get a bunny that need neutering then you could get him now and get his op sorted so that they both have time to calm. You could not bond them though, they would need to be kept seperate.

Good luck. x

I can only agree with what everyone else has said - you're doing the right thing by waiting.

Please don't feel too guilty - you'll be getting her a friend within a fairly short time frame, and she gets attention from you too so she's not suffering. She'll be delighted with a friend but it's not always possible to do it straight away, especially when you have to wait for a spey!

:wave: I think that youre doing the right thing....and the responsible thing....PomPom is gorgeous by the way!:love:

I would get her spayed..let her recover..let her hormones settle down and then look at getting her a neutered/spayed friend ;-)

I think she would get territorial right now and after her spay she will need to be confined in a small area where she can not jump about whilst she recovers.

You are def. putting PomPoms needs first and her not having a friend until she has been spayed will not do her any harm..she sounds like a very loved bunny with a lovely bunny mum...and with a crawling baby about...thats not an easy task...

Let us know how her op goes! :wave:

Back