• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear mites?

samijofood

Young Bun
Iv just been grooming jed and iv checked him over at the same time. When checking his ears I noticed little white flakes on them near the edges that look like dry skin and when I rubbed it a little the fur on the very edge of his ear came off. Hes having a heavy moulting session so iv been grooming him daily if not twice a day some days.

Could it be the begining of ear mites or is it just dry skin? Hes not scratching any more than usual.

Here is a link to a picture of a Rabbit with ear mites http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/10/30/ear-mites-causes-and-remedys/

What you are describing, is a normal build up of skin cells on the edge of the rabbits ears. (kinda like the dry callous you get on your heels over time if you don't get pedicures or take care of your feet. The dry skin cells build up and you get this dry ear edge. Once a week I put some all natural lotion on the edges of my bunnies ears to prevent this, just a little pea size rubbed between my fingers and along ear edges. http://www.lushusa.com/Dream-Cream/00031,en_US,pd.html?start=1&cgid=body-lotions <<<<<this stuff is great and has a very light scent so it don't bother bunnies. the limonene in it has in my experience a kind of repellent effect on flies, mites, fleas, and other bugs.

Last edited:
oh no its nothing like that in the link you sent. that does look quiet sore though.

he went for a routine check up today after having his booster jabs done and the vet confirmed it was just dry skin. and told me to use E45 on them.

Back