• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you bond a neutered male with an unspayed female

The risk of her hormones ruining a bond is high, you could have a very difficult bond and it could ruin them from bonding after she's done. Or you could bond them, but her hormones rear up and you have to separate her after a while.

Best to get her spayed first, then bond after a couple of weeks/months. If she's a baby it could work, but again, once her hormones kick in, it could ruin it.

Sometimes p@H adoption have neutered rabbits go in. It's not common, but it does happen so might be worth phoning and asking?

I think you'd be better keeping them separate until the female is spayed - much better chance of the bond working.

Also, would you consider trying him with a neutered male? It's possible to mix two males, especially since you're having problems with finding a female. Many people have successfully bonded males.

I've always had neutered boys and unspayed girls and they have been fine i currently have a girl with a neutered boy waiting to be spayed and there fine

Also, would you consider trying him with a neutered male? It's possible to mix two males, especially since you're having problems with finding a female. Many people have successfully bonded males.
I may just consider that x

My girl is currently unspayed, but is being kept in a separate space from my boys now that she's ready, as she became a relentless humper overnight. They can all still see and smell each other and they're licking through the bars, which makes me feel evil, but the boys were getting a bit fed up and Cloud already puts up with it from Bilbo - but at least he doesn't keep running back to try again once separated. Bilbo was quite funny though, because he just kept running away, He's always the one to do the humping between the two boys :roll:

In short, it's possible. Pooka bonded really easily as a baby, but I was watching like a hawk for when her behaviour changed, and I admit they were still separated by the pen when they weren't supervised for that reason. I will add though that anticipating a spay is horrible for me, I'm so nervous!

over the years i have taken in 3 unspayed older females, 2 x 5 yr olds and 1 x 6 yr old and they have all bonded with my neutered male just fine

Back