• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

LUCOZADE for a very sick bunny???????

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Someone I know messaged me last evening about their sick bunny who is not eating and drinking and has diarrhoea and is not moving - I said that they should take her to the emergency vet ASAP - this morning I enquired after her welfare to be told the emergency vet said to syringe feed her some lucozade and bring her in the morning - i have NEVER heard of this before - has anyone else????:shock::shock::shock:

*SIGH*

I would not waste time or money taking a toy Rabbit to a Vet who gives that sort of advice

The sick Rabbit could be given a paediatric rehydration solution by mouth as a 'first aid' treatment- eg Dioralyte

A fizzy drink?

No way. I'd think that not only could the sugar content be very detrimental, but the gas could cause/make bloat worse.

Very bad advise IMO.

I have asked which vets and been told but don't think I could post their name on here - just hope their bunny Shade is okay. I have asked for an update :cry::cry:

I think it would be in the greater interest of rabbit welfare to actually post the vets name on here, if the mods approve...

Shade the bunny has been to the vet and been given abx and critical care - my friend thought better about the lucozade after I expressed 'horror' and had asked my bunny friends on here - vet says she was not dehydrated thankfully but is poorly - no fly strike - I actually phoned them up to discuss the lucozade that the emergency vet had said about - the vet manager seemed a bit uneasy and said maybe they had learned something in a course - he said he would speak to the person concerned - I have passed on all that I have learned mainly from RU to Shade's owners and wish her a speedy recovery - thanks all x

Shade the bunny has been to the vet and been given abx and critical care - my friend thought better about the lucozade after I expressed 'horror' and had asked my bunny friends on here - vet says she was not dehydrated thankfully but is poorly - no fly strike - I actually phoned them up to discuss the lucozade that the emergency vet had said about - the vet manager seemed a bit uneasy and said maybe they had learned something in a course - he said he would speak to the person concerned - I have passed on all that I have learned mainly from RU to Shade's owners and wish her a speedy recovery - thanks all x

I'm glad the vets have actually treated the bunny properly now! :shock: I hope Shade feels much better soon!

I've had experience of one person letting down a normally very good vets practice before, in my case it was being told on the phone to starve my bun the night before an op... I said that I would most certainly not and we had an interesting conversation :lol: I got an apology later and that vet nurse/receptionist won't give that advice again! Do you think your friend spoke to a vet or to a vet nurse or even a receptionist?

Back