• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op spay advice

Hi guys, I got my bun bubbles spayed last Monday, 6 days ago, it was hit and miss for a while but she has recovered well. My question today is how long do I keep her indoors for and away from other rabbits and sawdust, she is usually housed with another doe. The vet advised me to bond them again at her 3 day check but didn't advise how long to keep her indoors for, unfortunately she is keeping everyone awake now drinking out of her bottle. Any advice would be appreciated

She should be ok to go back out now, they usually recommend keeping them in for a couple of days after their anaesthetic to make sure they're ok. But you will have to watch them carefully if you put her back with her friend, to make sure there's no fighting :wave:

Hi thanks for that advice I will try as they have been in the run for quite a while now and seem fine, just didn't want to aggrievate her wound ESP. With the sawdust :wave:

Hi thanks for that advice I will try as they have been in the run for quite a while now and seem fine, just didn't want to aggrievate her wound ESP. With the sawdust :wave:

Do you have to use sawdust? :? Can you not just replace it with newspaper or something, and put hay on top? That would be much better. Sawdust is not good for buns anyway, it can cause breathing problems :wave:

peterjames

It's not the fighting I would worry about. It's the grooming. If the doe is used to grooming Bubbles. I would be afraid he may do some damage.

hi guys, thanks for the advice they have been together all night and day and seem fine, was worrying too much lol. In response to using sawdust, if i use newspaper they eat it, which if i am right is bad for them too, cant win lol :wave:

Is it sawdust? Or woodshavings? You could just cover the shavings with hay so they won't be affected by the phenols that are released by them, my Poppy is still suffering with chest infections/scarring on her lungs etc and I only used them with her for a year :( Or lino? Easier to wipe down and clean, cheaper in the long run too.

Mine have layers of newspaper in their litter trays and hay covering the top, they can't actually get to the newspaper unless they dig it all up.

Can you not use a different type of bedding... something like fitch, auboise, or megazorb x

Can you not use a different type of bedding... something like fitch, auboise, or megazorb x

I have plastic floor tiles down which clover chews, just use the wood shavings as an extra to soak it up, they are not litter trained. I haven't even heard of Fitch etc, where would I get them?

fitch bedding has its own website, or you can get it on amazon. We have a petco that we can get auboise and megazorb from x

fitch bedding has its own website, or you can get it on amazon. We have a petco that we can get auboise and megazorb from x

Ok thanks moi, just got to decide which is best they all seem to have similar ratings, which ones do people use on this forum most?:wave:

I have Fitch now as the megazorb was aggravating my throat/chest. It's value for money and so absorbent. 2 of my rabbits have a few sheets of newspaper, small layer of Fitch and then the litter tray (62L storage box) is full of hay. They wee loads and the newspaper is barely touched because of the Fitch. We've had it a week now and it looks like we've barely touched the top, when in fact we've emptied some into an 80L storage box.

For £15 including delivery you get a big and very compressed bale of Fitch, which is very absorbent.

The bags of megazorb I got were 85L and £7 from a horse supply shop. I like megazorb but it was just that it made me cough for ages.

I go for fitch, good value, lasts ages and almost dust free which is good for the asthmatic of the home. I also use it for the hamster bedding x

Back