• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly back leg?

tommo1975

Young Bun
Over the last couple of weeks I've occasionally noticed one of Boris's back legs isn't quite right. He seems to drag it slightly and he doesn't seem as steady on it. When you see him hop and run, it's as if this leg is "asleep" and it points inwards more than the other back leg.

Another behaviour, which may be related is what I witnessed a few moments ago; he did a 360 on the spot whilst eating, turning himself all the way around, using just his front legs, with very little movement of his back legs (especially the "bad" one) - very bizarre. Not the first time I've seen that happen either.

He does seem to get around though, is eating and drinking as normal and seems quite relaxed in himself. No signs of him being in pain, or having any problems with balance either.

He's recently been neutered (10 days ago) and today had some stitches removed by the vets. Not sure if that's relevant or not (i.e. his scrotum is itchy and he was using the floor to scratch the area when doing the 360 movement??).

He's about 6 years old, so obviously I'm aware he's getting into middle-old age now. Could the above be a sign he's got an injury or arthritis in one of his back legs? Is the "360 movement" I've seen him do a couple of times something to be worried about? It was really strange to watch him do it.

Back