• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How young can a bun be neutered?

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Asking on behalf of a friend as I've heard several different answers to this and have always rescued adult buns so it's not something I'm familiar with :wave:

Male or female? Males can be done as soon as the testicles descend, usually around 12-16 weeks, females ideally between 4-6 months when they have grown enough to make the op less fiddly but not so much that they have laid down lots of fat. Some vets prefer to do it a little older, especially if the buns are small, but certainly by 6 months for both sexes except in very unusual cases e.g. stunted growth or some giant breeds.

Thanks for replying. He's meant to be male but I'm going to help her check because she was told the sex, but not from a very reliable source lets just say! I've never checked sex of buns myself either :oops: Do you press and pop the willy out?

How old is he now? I would be more inclined to look for testicles, you can often find them even still under the skin from about 9-10 weeks or so ...if you can find some little baked beans under the skin either side of his bits, or even fully dropped plums, then you know for certain you've got a boy! You could always then look at the genitals directly if you can't find anything.

If he's at that sort of age, I'd recommend getting him to the vets for his vaccination and get the vet to check - they need 3 weeks for the first vaccination to take effect so I wouldn't book neutering within that time period, so that should give long enough after the vacc for the bun to mature a little more if necessary :D

How old is he now? I would be more inclined to look for testicles, you can often find them even still under the skin from about 9-10 weeks or so ...if you can find some little baked beans under the skin either side of his bits, or even fully dropped plums, then you know for certain you've got a boy! You could always then look at the genitals directly if you can't find anything.

If he's at that sort of age, I'd recommend getting him to the vets for his vaccination and get the vet to check - they need 3 weeks for the first vaccination to take effect so I wouldn't book neutering within that time period, so that should give long enough after the vacc for the bun to mature a little more if necessary :D

He's 10 weeks (again allegedly). I'll ask her to look for a couple of baked beans lol. So it's ok to say get his vaccs done right away? I wasn't sure if it was best to wait until a bit older or not

Yes, the new combined vaccine can be given from 5 weeks old. As its the time of year when there are lots of biting insects, I would recommend that he is booked in as soon as possible - that way he can have his vaccine, get a vet check and be sexed, and then she will know whether to book him in for his neuter in about 3 weeks time (after the vaccine has produced immunity) or a little longer if he turns out to be a she!

Yes, the new combined vaccine can be given from 5 weeks old. As its the time of year when there are lots of biting insects, I would recommend that he is booked in as soon as possible - that way he can have his vaccine, get a vet check and be sexed, and then she will know whether to book him in for his neuter in about 3 weeks time (after the vaccine has produced immunity) or a little longer if he turns out to be a she!

Ok I'll pass it on. Thanks a lot for your help you've been great :thumb::love:

Back