• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis Help. UD, bunny PTS :(

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
I am trying to turn a rabbit around from stasis, possible bloat (although I'm not sure about it being bloat as the rabbit is relatively active, occasionally hopping around her cage & has eaten some small bits of hay just now. Stomach is bloated, but I can manipulate/massage it)

She's seen a vet & is on zantac, emeprid, biolapis (diluted in water, 5ml every 2 hrs) & supreme science recovery every 2 hrs. I've also asked the vet to put her on metacam as she was grinding her teeth, so is on 1 drop of metacam, once a day.

The thing is, I've had her home for 24 hours now, & other than passing some mucus (clear) and a tiny piece of runny poop, she's not really pooped properly. I'm giving her all of her meds, but she must be getting uncomfortable by now! So much fluids & fibre & none of it passing!

What can I do to help her go? I've been told to try prune juice, is this a good idea? Is there anything else I can try? I've just tried popping some parsely into her cage to see if that encourages her to eat & she's had a few pieces of hay, but that's pretty much it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
She needs to be re-assessed by a Vet.

Has a full obstruction been ruled out ?

Personally I would not give prune juice to a Rabbit

She needs to be re-assessed by a Vet.

Has a full obstruction been ruled out ?

Personally I would not give prune juice to a Rabbit

She was re-assessed by the vet today, when I managed to get them to add metacam to her list of meds! No obstruction, just can't seem to get things moving. Thankfully, she is moving about now.. Having a stretch seems to help & she is seeking out the odd bit of hay.

I wasn't sure about the prune juice to be honest.. Thought I'd double check!

She's not my bun, but the fight I'm giving to save her (especially after losing my bun to stasis only a couple of months ago!), she might as well be mine! I keep trying to convince my OH to let me adopt her, but I don't know how well bonding with Niles would go! Lol. (He's 5 YEARS & she's 8 or 9 WEEKS!)

ETA - Just read another post that said emeprid & zantac are both used to aid the emptying of the GI tract. Is that true? In which case there'd be no point trying anything like prune juice or pineapple juice (or anything else they suggested!!). I've just put a hot water bottle in her cage & covered it in hay. Two reasons really.. Hoping that keeping her warm will help her gut get moving.. And also, oddly, I noticed Niles goes mad for warm hay as it smells stronger! Noticed by accident after leaving his hay by the radiator one day! Hoping the smell entices her. I am currently following her around the cage with a clump of hay! She's taking a few bites, then moving on.. So at least she's getting some exercise & eating bits of hay!

Last edited:
She was re-assessed by the vet today, when I managed to get them to add metacam to her list of meds! No obstruction, just can't seem to get things moving. Thankfully, she is moving about now.. Having a stretch seems to help & she is seeking out the odd bit of hay.

I wasn't sure about the prune juice to be honest.. Thought I'd double check!

She's not my bun, but the fight I'm giving to save her (especially after losing my bun to stasis only a couple of months ago!), she might as well be mine! I keep trying to convince my OH to let me adopt her, but I don't know how well bonding with Niles would go! Lol. (He's 5 YEARS & she's 8 or 9 WEEKS!)

It she is that young then the problem could be extremely serious- Muccoid Enteritis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

Do make sure she is very well quarantined from your Rabbit and be mindful of cross contamination when handling both of them

It she is that young then the problem could be extremely serious- Muccoid Enteritis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

Do make sure she is very well quarantined from your Rabbit and be mindful of cross contamination when handling both of them

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot here... That link doesn't make a lot of sense to me! Is this something that can easily be transferred from one rabbit to another?! They are currently in separate rooms and she's not gone near anything Niles goes near & I've not handled him since bringing her home (Just to be on the extra safe side).

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot here... That link doesn't make a lot of sense to me! Is this something that can easily be transferred from one rabbit to another?! They are currently in separate rooms and she's not gone near anything Niles goes near & I've not handled him since bringing her home (Just to be on the extra safe side).

Sometimes the pathogen causing the enteritis can be contagious- eg Coccidiosis.

Where did she come from ? It is possible that her litter mates may be effected too.

Sometimes the pathogen causing the enteritis can be contagious- eg Coccidiosis.

Where did she come from ? It is possible that her litter mates may be effected too.

Pet store.. Although as far as I am aware, none others have been infected.

Do I need to be worried about something that can be transferred through the air? Or is it just rabbit-rabbit infection? My OH is caring for Niles atm.. I don't want to take her back just yet as she will probably just die.

Is mucus often a normal sign of stasis/bloat?

Just spoken to my rabbit savvy vet, they've said it all sounds fine at the moment & the mucus is normal.. Probably with me pushing so many meds, it's upset her natural balance a little bit. Although, if she's not producing any normal faeces or urine by tomorrow then to get her seen by a vet again. I might see if I can get her seen by my vet instead of the ones she has been seeing. Unfortunately, that's not my decision though.

Pet store.. Although as far as I am aware, none others have been infected.

Do I need to be worried about something that can be transferred through the air? Or is it just rabbit-rabbit infection? My OH is caring for Niles atm.. I don't want to take her back just yet as she will probably just die.

Is mucus often a normal sign of stasis/bloat?

In Baby Rabbits it is often a sign of Enteritis-inflammation in the GI tract

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/gutstasis.asp

In Baby Rabbits it is often a sign of Enteritis-inflammation in the GI tract

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/gutstasis.asp

It wasn't her first symptom, the mucus-type substance has only been an issue this afternoon. Which I think the vet saw as a positive thing. She also looks quite well, not really subdued at all. She's just incredibly bloated. Still, I will be extra careful to make sure Niles doesn't catch anything. It looks like we might be returning to the vets if she doesn't pass something soon. I hate to think how uncomfortable she must be!

Bunny was put to sleep yesterday. It was heartbreaking, even though she wasn't mine. I took her to my rabbit savvy vet who said it seemed to be most likely muccoid enteropathy (sp?). He didn't think it was contagious though, given her symptoms. But I will be keeping a close eye on Niles just to be sure.

Poor bunny. I feel so sad for her, but it was for the best. She was so bloated & must have been in so much pain. I did absolutely everything I could for her. My vet said even with the new treatment, prognosis was poor. I couldn't let her continue to suffer.

Binky free little one <3

Back