• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly dumped boy (suspected E-cuniculi) vibes and advice needed.

Aliswan

Warren Scout
Hi all it's been a very long time since I was on here but all has been great. My 2 buns are happy and healthy and very well settled.
Here's a long story but I hope for some vibes and advice please

Then on Friday we saw a man come in the garden with a cardboard box, he didn't knock on the door just turned and ran away. We went out to find 3 giant bundles of fluff in the box. We brought them in and checked them over and saw a note in the bottom of the box saying, "keep them. dump them or kill them, we don't mind". I have no idea who this man was but I'm on the look out at every opportunity. So Basically these 3 are very friendly but incredibly thin. I sexed them immediately and found 2 unneutered boy and a girl (almost certainly pregnant if the lump in the right side of her tum is anything to go by). Anyway, we separated them immediately and set the boys up in a hutch and run set-up (very lucky my buns have so much space they can spare some) outside at the complete opposite side of the garden (about 30feet away from my 2 at the closest point). Then set the girl up in the bathroom. They all tucked into their hay happily, thank goodness. I weighed all 3, boy 1 (rhubarb) was 2.6kg, boy 2 (custard) was 3.6kg and girl (snowy) was 3.9kg on Friday evening. I think they may be flemish giants so their weight is of massive concern.

I rang my local rescue who I have fostered for and they said they couldn't take them but would neuter the boys for £30 and the girl for £50 once their weights were up. Brilliant news!

So Saturday was great all 3 were settled eating happily and still very friendly, I changed my clothes before seeing my 2 to prevent any spread of anything nasty and to avoid upsetting them. But this afternoon I went out to check on the boys and Rhubarb was showing a head tilt :( I immediately recognised the symptom as EC (I really hope I'm wrong) and got out my panacur (bought a few when I got my 2) and started all 5 rabbits on a course in the hope I've caught it early and I have separated the boys, much to their distress - they are incredibly close. I weighed each one again to get the dose right and found Rhubarb was 2.7kg, custard 5.1kg and snowy 5.3kg (fantastic weight gain for 2 I think, goes to show how good hay is! but awful for poor Rhubarb).

I rang the rescue again and they said to take them in separate carriers to their vets tomorrow to get checked and get more panacur as I only have a couple of 9 day course syringes. I am hoping that I've managed to catch it early enough but I'm so worried that because of his awful condition poor Rhubarb won't have enough fight!

Please, please, please share your vibes and if anyone has any advice I would massively appreciate it!

Here's their photos:

A very skinny snowy.

The boys with no sign of head tilt (I know the set-up isn't great but it's all I had for them, poor things).

This is poor Rhubarb today

Horrible man:censored::censored:
Poor,poor bunnies how awful for them.I cant really advise but HUGE vibes for these 3 and hugs to you for helping them like this.The EC probably surfaced because of all the stress this poor boy has been through.

He passed away this morning. At least now he can't suffer. A beautiful boy lost because no one cared before. At least when he died he knew he was loved. Binky Free Rhubarb, I'll take care of your brother!

Poor wee soul. At least he knew love at yours as you said. Sleep tight angel xx

Hope the other two are doing well x

So very very sad.Poor little chap.So glad he went to the bridge in your care.How are the other 2 doing?
Binky free little Rhubarb,sleep peacefully.....

Oh God I'm in tears :cry:

I'm a great believer in Karma and I hope the guy that cruelly dumped them has a great life........NOT!!!!!

Poor poor Rhubarb and all such beautiful bunnies, he reminds me of our Bridge bunny Tia and she was found
as a stray in Sunderland she was an agouti conti cross.

Binky free all well again at the Bridge gorgeous boy xxxxxxxxx

I am still upset that he's gone. But above all now I'm angry!
The other 2 and mine are doing really well thank goodness. I'm continuing the panacur for 28 days to be on the safe side.

I'll get the others neutered and will bond them again or if, as I suspect, the girl is pregnant I'll bond them once the babies are grown and my mam will bond them with her boy.

Fingers crossed some good comes out of this awful situation.

And thank you all for your kind words.

Back