• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking.... need advice

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hello everyone. Well with the recent loss of Buffy.. when trying to keep track of how much her three siblings are drinking i am a bit confused. When Buffy died just over 3 weeks ago all three were collectively drinking between 700ml - 900ml over 2 days (so one day would have been between 350ml - 450ml average) but today when i changed the water after 2 days i noticed they had drank 1150ml. I am wondering if i should be worried about this?

Divde that by 2 for the 2 day average between changing the water and it is 575ml per day for all three. Divide that by 3 and it is about 191ml per rabbit per day. Now Scruffy and Foxxy each drank 300ml over 2 days so they drank 150ml per day (average). So is this anything to worry about?

They haven't had much grass the last few days as we have had to put them mostly in the indoor run due to rain and when outside we have had to move the run off the grass so it can grow back. The outdoor run is on the patio for now. I don't know if that is anything that'd affect their drinking?

They have been fine with everything and no signs of discomfort (even Fuzzy who has a molar teeth issue, he has been fine eating his food, running around etc). I am just thinking about the drinking, i don't know if it is because of recently losing Buffy but i have been worrying about them more since.

Rabbits should drink around 50-150ml of water per kg per day. So I don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

My pairs drink anything between 1/2 - 1 giant bunny bottle a day (I think they are 1 litre?)

It is higher on hot days, or if they have eaten more hay and less grass etc.

Rabbits should drink around 50-150ml of water per kg per day. So I don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

Yeah this is what Scruffy goes by mostly. In Winter he usually drinks around 50ml per day but nearer 150ml during summer. Foxxy is the same.

It is just with three being in one hutch it is difficult to know how much each has drank individually so i average it between all three. We have the 600ml bottles from pets at home for all the rabbits. Roxxy, Harmony and Fuzzy have three of those bottles on their hutch (so one each now Frosty and Buffy have passed away). They used to be near 100ml each during winter and at 150ml during summer.

I changed the water at about 10am and when i checked just now they had drunk 150ml in total so about 50ml each which is within the 150ml per day.
So from all three this should be about 250 -300ml total by 10pm. I know weight can come into how much should be drunk as well and from the last time they were weighed, Fuzzy was 1.6kg, Roxxy was 1.9kg and Harmony i think was 1.8kg. Scruffy is 1.74kg (he had his teeth filed yesterday so this is his current weight) and Foxxy i think was 1.8 or 1.9kg.

Ok just thought I would put up the water intake from the rabbits since I changed the water yesterday.

Right this morning while feeding the rabbits I checked the water bottles and this is what amounts I found.

Scruffy had drank 150ml
Foxxy drank 100ml
Roxxy, Harmony and Fuzzy collectively drank 500ml (so about 166ml each on average)

That is normal for Scruffy and Foxxy. I am not sure if the others are drinking more than they should though but I will be keeping track of the drinking amount just in case (I know that drinking too much can mean there is an illness present).

OK so this morning I notice that over the last two days they have drank in total...

Well the same as the two days before that...

Scruffy drank 300ml over 2 days.
Foxxy drank just slightly over 200ml.
Roxxy, Harmony and Fuzzy drank a collective 1150ml.

So 150ml per day, 100ml per day and 575ml per day. I am still a bit unsure over the three rabbits drinking 575ml a day but I think I will keep an eye on them.

Back