• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Nightmare!!

Cara95

New Kit
On the 2nd of January 2012 my gorgeous bunny Coco got taken by a fox from the garden, in response to the attack I added extra bolts to my hutches and not only supervised all play time in the run but also I covered the hutch with lino, tarpaulin etc whiche were weighed down by brickes and heavy plant pots however two weeks later a fox returned and attempted to scratch through the one of my hutches leaving a paw sized hole and both hutches that I had looking worse for wear. Since then both of my female bunnies have been brought inside in their own cages but this is very inconveniant and causing stress for my Mum who is the home owner and can not be very healthy for me as one lives in my room so I have been thinking of moving at least one (if not both) the rabbits outdoors again as it has been over a year since the attack and as of my family's knowledge the fox has stopped visiting the garden.

Would it be safe for my rabbit to live in a hutch outside if I bought a ryedale hutch with a stand modified atleast 2ft off the ground with bolts and shutters as well as buying a night cover? I am also thinking of buying scoot fox repellent and one of those fox repellent eye reflector things.

Understandably, I am very paranoid about fox attacks if my bunnies were to go outside so I am willing to try anything!! I would buy a shed for them to live in but my garden is too small however it does have a 6ft fence (yes I do know a fox could still jump over this) please, Id very much appreciate your advice.

Sorry you lost Coco :cry:

How about a playhouse? There are some great ideas for housing on this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

Make sure the run has strong wire mesh rather than chicken wire that foxes can bite through. Use bolts and padlocks on any doors and lids. Maybe get a FoxWatch, it has a motion sensor and emits a noise that's only audible to foxes (and dogs) and is supposed to scare them away: http://www.primrose.co.uk/foxwatch-...ce=googleads&gclid=CIeVysbI0LcCFc3HtAodS0oAMA

You mention moving at least one of the buns, are they living separately then? If they were bonded together you'd only need one new set up xx

Yeah both of my bunnies are living seperately as they are both female and around 4 years of age so Im not sure they would bond very well but am about to attempt it in the next few weeks, this is due to both being seperate rescue rabbits with Twink being Coco's old partner but if they do bond succesfully I am going to house them together outside. Thanks so do you think they'd be safe??

Are they both neutered? It's worth a try bonding them.

If everything is sturdy and fox proof, and the buns have a place they can hide in to feel safe, then that's the best you can do.

Oh, and make sure nothing can dig in or dig out, by either putting their housing on paving slabs or putting mesh at the bottom.

Good luck xx

Back