• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runs for groups 7, group of 4 and a Giant!

TickTock

Alpha Buck
I know how much space a single rabbits needs but how much space should be added per rabbit if we have groups of buns?

I have a group of 7 and I'm currently searching for a big run for them. I have a vegetable patch 'run' But I'd like to give them a proper run that I don't have to lift them into :)

They currently have a shed of about 8ft 3in by 6ft 2in with a shelf of about 5ft 8in by 2ft 6in.

Last edited:
There's no sort of concrete guidelines on this that I know of, but for 7 rabbits and factoring in the size of their shed I wouldn't like to go for anything smaller than 10 x 8 foot if it was me!

For something big, you might be better sinking fence posts adding some horizontal supports and then meshing over it. You'll probably end up with a bigger run for less money. If you pick tall posts you could make it walk in :) If you don't feel like doing the DIY, try a local handy man.

If you use the shed as the forth side that will save you on mesh and you can add a catflap between the two. Alternatively, build the shed into it so you walk into the run, then into the shed.

Our group of x6 (c3.5 kg) rabbits has a permanent area of 9 by 6 - a floor of that size covered in OODLES of hay, a raised 'hutch' area within that of 3 by 6, a raised area above that of 3 by 6 again (no access holes cut in either so full space available) and the (wide) ramps to run up and down - - and time out each day for a couple of hours in an area about 30 ft by 30ft.

TBH they spend most of their time laying in heaps on top of each other in a corner!

However another group of 5 less well bonded buns (mostly nethies so small) do use all the space in their identical area as they do not lay in heaps on top of each other, preferring to splinter off in couples etc. They get let out slightly less often (as they are tricky to get back in) probably every other day.

So it depends on the dynamics of the group and the amount of time out they have and their size.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone:wave:

They are all small bunnies and none of them weigh more than 2kg! Currently they have the shed (which as I said is 8ft 3in by 6ft 2in with a shelf of 5ft 8in by 2ft 6in) and the 'veggie run' which is 10ft 2in by 3ft 9in BUT they can't go in or out yet :oops:

They did have the whole garden free ranging with at least 4hours in..but I'm getting too paranoid about them digging into next door or foxes getting them.

Do you think it would be worth me fixing up and extending the Veggie run;it was meant to be over the veggie patch to stop them getting in.

Also would much space for a run do you think for:

*A group of 4 (all about 1.8- 2.8kg) who live in 10ft by 4ft area with a 1.7 x 4ft 'hutch' x2 levels and a 2.5 x 4ft dog cage with 3 levels (the top is boarded and can be used as a level)

* A giant gal would need(5.8kg ) who lives in a 10ft by7ft 5in with a 7.5ft by 2ft shelf

Sorry for so many questions :oops: But with finally getting my nan to understand that the rabbit standards uses used to shes finally letting me put runs in! :D

Last edited:
Back