• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help possible status GI

snuffle_munch

Warren Scout
My poor Presley had status gi about a year and half ago we almost lost him :( in the last hour and a half he has become very sleepy and is not moving. He is just all hunched up in his litter tray. He hasnt eaten in about 2hour or even had a drink and he wont toych his favorite hay :( please someone tell me what I can do x

Can you get him to move about a bit? Sometimes that can help to get things moving. But if you really think its stasis again then you should probably take him to the emergency vets.
When was the last time he ate? Has he passed any poops recently?

The symptoms you describe are likely to be a response to pain, it could, and is most likely to be gastro-intestinal pain, but it could also be pain elsewhere.

He really could do with seeing a vet ASAP. You obviously realise the serious implications of him not eating, having experienced it before. It's difficult to know how long to watch them before calling the vet but from what you describe, if he was mine, I'd be ringing the vet about now. He definitely needs to be seen within the next couple of hours if there is no improvement, the sooner you start treating these episodes the more chance of recovery/faster recovery.

This. Ring the emergency vet and take him down there so he can be treated tonight, before he gets any worse x

The symptoms you describe are likely to be a response to pain, it could, and is most likely to be gastro-intestinal pain, but it could also be pain elsewhere.

He really could do with seeing a vet ASAP. You obviously realise the serious implications of him not eating, having experienced it before. It's difficult to know how long to watch them before calling the vet but from what you describe, if he was mine, I'd be ringing the vet about now. He definitely needs to be seen within the next couple of hours if there is no improvement, the sooner you start treating these episodes the more chance of recovery/faster recovery.

Thanks guys I just called the vets, she is with someone so is going to call me back. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt justbeing paranoid. But at the end of the day id rather be safe then sorry. Is there anything you could suggest to make him comfy until the vet xalls back.

I know it sounds mean but make him move about.
It'll help keep the gut moving, I'd expect the vet to ask me to come in so they could give some painkillers and a gut stimulant and check the teeth to see if they are causing pain.
When was the last time he pooed?

If it is a problem with the teeth you may have to syringe feed him, but the vet can give you stuff when you go.

For now try soaking some pellets in warm water and tempt him to eat with his favourite treats like a wee bit of fruit or some herbs?

Hope he'll be ok. xxx

I know it sounds mean but make him move about.
It'll help keep the gut moving, I'd expect the vet to ask me to come in so they could give some painkillers and a gut stimulant and check the teeth to see if they are causing pain.
When was the last time he pooed?

If it is a problem with the teeth you may have to syringe feed him, but the vet can give you stuff when you go.

For now try soaking some pellets in warm water and tempt him to eat with his favourite treats like a wee bit of fruit or some herbs?

Hope he'll be ok. xxx

Thank you.
This soynds really bad but ive no idea when he last pooped. Ive been working most of the evening. He eat a bit of cabbage at about half 7 and hasnt eaten since then :( he was running around fine earlier. I could honestly cry :cry: x

That's not bad don't worry.
What do the poos look like that are in the litter tray?
Are they smaller than usual?
Also when you get him to run around (you may have to chase him about a bit to encourage him) don't be surprised if some poos appear, it's a good sign.

Has the vet called back yet?

There fine. Big and round and slighty dark. Still heard nothing back from the vet! Think I might have to call again soon. He just sat up forva few seconds and cleaned his face and the right back down again in to a wee ball. Thank you for taking the time to help me out, im in by myself at the moment and starting to panic as his ears are starting to get cold :( x

It's been about an hour since you rang, I don't think it's unreasonable to ring again just to "remind" them that you're still waiting for a call back

It's been about an hour since you rang, I don't think it's unreasonable to ring again just to "remind" them that you're still waiting for a call back

yeah I'd call them again and ask for advice, or just take him to them.

Is he still not wanting any food at all?

It sounds as though you've caught whattever is bothering him very early :) go you.

eta: just seen where you live, what vets do you use? I'm about an hour away from edinburgh small world :) xxx

I hope you get to speak to the vet soon - definitely agree you should ring again if you haven't already.

It's horribly stressful having a sick bunny, really hope he feels better very soon xx

Vet just called, explained to her what he was like. She adviced to watch him for another hour or so and if hes still not eating of moving about ive to call back. As he has started to clean his self.

I go one in the centre of edinburgh called abercorn but looking at changing. Do you go to one in edinburgh? Yeah its a very small world :)

I hope you get to speak to the vet soon - definitely agree you should ring again if you haven't already.

It's horribly stressful having a sick bunny, really hope he feels better very soon xx

Thank you, just hate him being in pain and theres nothing you can do to help :( x x

If you're in Edinburgh the Royal D i c k vet school may not be far from you and they are excellent with bunnies. If your bunny is suffering from pain then a pain killer would help him but only a vet would be able to give you some. I wouldn't wait too long before seeking treatment, often the quicker you catch these things the better the chance of bunny getting well again sooner.

Hope he feels better soon, we have a stasis-prone bunny.:(

Vet just called, explained to her what he was like. She adviced to watch him for another hour or so and if hes still not eating of moving about ive to call back. As he has started to clean his self.

I go one in the centre of edinburgh called abercorn but looking at changing. Do you go to one in edinburgh? Yeah its a very small world :)

I actually go to see Madonna at the Ark Veterinanary clinic, in coatbridge and they have a branch in holytown just a few mins up the road from me.

Though the D I C K vets in edinburgh are excellant :)
I've been to a few talks with buddies buny's at the D!CK vets and they really do know their stuff :)

Is he showing any interest in food at all yet?

I wouldn't want to wait another hour personally. Keep tempting him with different foods, and try to get him to have a drink. If he's starting to feel cold do you have a Snugglesafe you could give him? Make sure the vet gives him a painkiller when you go. Sending lots of vibes for Presley xx

Back