• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rascal won't eat ......u/d P21- back from vets...again!

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
.... and he doesn't seem to know what to do with himself.

One minute he is sat huddled, then he stretches out for a lie down, then sat up. His tummy must be hurting him, so far he has refused his pellets, a crunchie, banana and dandelion!!

I've given him a snuggle safe and Dizzi is grooming him and snuggling next to him but I don't really know what I can do to help him.

He had some grass yesterday (not a lot but its the first bit of grass he's had this year) and I gave them spring greens for their supper last night, now I'm wondering if this has given him a poorly tummy.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? And how long do I leave him not eating before I get him to the vets??

He has done this before and after a couple of hours of being 'off' has been completely fine so I don't want to panic too much yet but I haven't seen him eat since supper time last night (of course he may have been munching his hay through the night but I don't know when the last time he ate was).

Any ideas??

Thanks, Jo x

Last edited:
I would get him to the Vet this morning

He may have eaten too much grass, which is VERY rich at the moment and can potentially cause bloat

Has he poo'd overnight ?

I think you need to give the Vet a call now and get him seen ASAP

Good Luck

Thanks Jane, yes, he only had a couple of mouthfuls of the grass but I'm thinking that's the culprit.

He is pooing ok.

I'll give the vets a ring.

Hope you can get him seen by the vet soon. Sending vibes.

My Spenser had this trouble after his first grass last spring. He was absolutely fine after the vet gave him the appropriate meds.

You could give him some infacol if you haven't gone to the vets yet. You can get it from a chemist and if you syringe feed 1ml per hour for first 3 hours, hopefully this will help settle his stomach.

Hi all

Thanks for your advice, I'm just back from the vets, she gave him an injection to try and get things moving and has given me some fibreplex to syringe feed (she gave him one dose whilst we were there).

She's also recommended Infacol (although she suggested half a ml every 3 hours?!) and vegetarian baby food.

She said he didn't feel 'bloaty' but that I was right to bring him, said his tummy felt empty and she could feel caecals.

I've to keep a close eye on him today and take him back tomorrow if he hasn't eaten anything other than what I syringe feed.

Is there anything else I could try him on?

Thanks Jo xx

Last edited:
Dandelions , fresh herbs, fresh mint is good for poorly tummys , coriander , basil , dill , have you got any Pro C if you have add the amount it says on the tub to bunnys drinking water x

Dandelions , fresh herbs, fresh mint is good for poorly tummys , coriander , basil , dill , have you got any Pro C if you have add the amount it says on the tub to bunnys drinking water x

Thanks, will give them a try .... what's Pro C?

Rolo had a bit of an off day yesterday - the first thing I managed to get him to eat was banana, my hubby held him and I coaxed small bits into his mouth.

My bunny does exactly same as yours every 5-10 weeks for about 12 hrs then he is totally fine again.
I give him pain relief and stomach medicine from vets and syringe feed him recovery food if I can get it into him which is not always possible ( he goes beserk if I you put a syringe near his mouth!).

I am experimenting with giving him fibreplex once a day when he is well to see if it helps stop the attacks.

My bun goes from refusing all food and fluid with stretching and hunching and trembling for about 8-10 hrs then he starts moving around, grooming and drinking and within 24 hrs he is eating anything that stands still and is fine and follows same way every single time.

Thanks, I just tried him with a bit of banana but he wouldn't touch it ......... will keep trying all the suggestions though.

Problem is, I can't just leave it there for him to have when he fancies as Dizzi keeps pinching it!!!

So I have to sit there trying to coax him and I think it puts him off a bit, I'm sure he'd prefer it if I could just leave him to it. Might stick Dizzi out in the garden for a bit and leave him some tasty treats see if it tempts him!

I'm really worried, I've never had a sick bunny before. He's had 'off' days but never like this! :(

My bunny does exactly same as yours every 5-10 weeks for about 12 hrs then he is totally fine again.
I give him pain relief and stomach medicine from vets and syringe feed him recovery food if I can get it into him which is not always possible ( he goes beserk if I you put a syringe near his mouth!).

I am experimenting with giving him fibreplex once a day when he is well to see if it helps stop the attacks.

My bun goes from refusing all food and fluid with stretching and hunching and trembling for about 8-10 hrs then he starts moving around, grooming and drinking and within 24 hrs he is eating anything that stands still and is fine and follows same way every single time.

Oh that makes me feel a little better then, sounds just like what Rascal is doing now! He's groomed himself a couple of times (half heartedly) but now he's just sat, and he looks soo sorry for himself.

Do you think I should be encouraging him to move about a bit? He's just sat at the moment, I appreciate its snooze time but I thought that a bit of moving about may get things moving?? x

Bumping because Rascal still hasn't eaten ....... I've managed to syringe infacol, fibreplex and a little bit of baby food but he is refusing everything else.

Thanks x

Oh God no she didn't, just something to 'get things moving' (I can't even remember what she said it was now I was so stressed) she said the infacol should help with any discomfort he was feeling!!

Ori did exactly this yesterday. Vet administered metacam, metaclopramide and ranitidine and we kept him in overnight. Within 20 mins of the shots he was eating again and I think that was just the pain relief kicking in. I'd ring the vet and go back and get another shot of gut stimulant and pain relief. If the gut stimulant was metaclopramide the shot only lasts about 12 hours. We were told to go back this morning for another shot if Ori still wasn't eating.

Ori did exactly this yesterday. Vet administered metacam, metaclopramide and ranitidine and we kept him in overnight. Within 20 mins of the shots he was eating again and I think that was just the pain relief kicking in. I'd ring the vet and go back and get another shot of gut stimulant and pain relief. If the gut stimulant was metaclopramide the shot only lasts about 12 hours. We were told to go back this morning for another shot if Ori still wasn't eating.

She did say to go back tomorrow if he hadn't eaten anything! Can't believe now that she didn't give pain relief! And I can't believe I didn't ask about it! Was in such a panic was nearly crying when I got there!! Will give them a ring back.

Back