• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training questions

~Chey~

Young Bun
My rabbit is litter trained in his cage however my problem is that when he come out he seems to forget this. I have a very large cage in my room which in the long run I'd like to be able to leave the doors open to give him access to my room, when he's not outside in the outrun. My question is do I need to have different litter trays scattered around? He seems to love my bed and this is the only place other than in his cage litter tray that he will pee. He's very persistent and always in the same place. Fr obviously reasons I don't want this is happen and I can't put a litter tray here.
I've tried encouraging him to go back into the litter try but without know when he's going to go its pretty pointless. Any help would be so so appreciated!

Bunnies love to pee on beds.

Mine is doing it atm, everyday.

Someone has suggested to me about putting a waterproof cover over the bed.

This :thumb: beds are soft and pee'able on'able! :lol: We bought a kingsize water proof cover for the double bed so it goes over the pillows too but don't need it anymore as Poppy decided she could be bothered to jump on the bed!

Is he neutered? Mine were always really good with wees in their litter tray before neuter/spay but poo would be scattered everywhere. After they were done it was perfect, I only find poos that they have kicked out of the litter tray :)

What's in his litter tray? If you make sure there is plenty of tasty hay available then he should be pooing and peeing while eating it:) I know when I top my buns litter trays up throughout the day, they spend ages in there afterwards munching the fresh hay :)

This :thumb: beds are soft and pee'able on'able! :lol: We bought a kingsize water proof cover for the double bed so it goes over the pillows too but don't need it anymore as Poppy decided she could be bothered to jump on the bed!

Is he neutered? Mine were always really good with wees in their litter tray before neuter/spay but poo would be scattered everywhere. After they were done it was perfect, I only find poos that they have kicked out of the litter tray :)

What's in his litter tray? If you make sure there is plenty of tasty hay available then he should be pooing and peeing while eating it:) I know when I top my buns litter trays up throughout the day, they spend ages in there afterwards munching the fresh hay :)

It was a darn good idea, but the vet said hes look healthy to be "done"

He has a paper pellet litter, which is designed for rodents but i can't seem to remember the name :lol: then topped with hay and a lot of the time dried readi grass or dried herbs of some sort for him to find within the hay.
Do I need to provide another little tray in my room for him or do you think after he's been neutered he should just go back to his cage litter tray?

Give it a week or so after neutering and he should use him litter tray completely :) give or take a few poops!

One of my rabbits was 4 when I had her spayed and she was never litter trained, brought her inside when she became poorly and she took to it straight away although I was using puppy pads in corners and picking up poo all the time! It took about a month for her to use her litter tray completely after her spay and now I'm only picking up a few random poos a day :p so it does help a lot :thumb:

Yeah he does seem to poop all over the shot, mostly in his little tray it's just when he's out he seems to forget that he does still have access to his little tray.. Perhaps he's just being lazy? :lol:

Could you block off your bed with a puppy pen? My two boys also loved to pee on my bed, so they have the bed free half of the room now :lol:

Ive kept rabbits indoors my whole life and find the more litter trays the better. also when cleaning up any accidents make sure you are using biological washing powder cos their noses are so strong theyll still pick up the urine smell if you use anything else. this also works great dissolved in hot water for mopping tiled floors just make sure you do a rinse mop with clean water 10 mins or so after, and before letting any buns back in :)

I also have more than one litter tray and find this works really well. Mine also have their own duvet, which I fold in half and place on the floor for them (makes a very comfy bed for them). I don't know why bunnies love duvets so much but they do. Maybe if you put a duvet for your bunny on the floor it may stop him wanting to jump up on the bed so much.

Thank you for your replies :) I was thinking of buying him one of those cosy dog bed cushion type things hoping this woul help.. Both suggestions are great and ill be trying both out!

Back