• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed On Spay After Phantom Pregnancy

Hi

I took my rabbit in to be spayed to find out she appears to be having a phantom pregnancy so obviously it didn't go ahead. Vet has recommended I wait for three months before trying again. Why would he suggest waiting this long?

Also how long before we start seeing that she is coming out of this as she has had a nest for a couple of weeks now. She has been in with a neutered male on and off who we took in to be castrated last year so 99% sure she isn't pregnant!

TIA

I don't know why the Vet recommended waiting for 3 months. Lots of female rabbits have phantom pregnancies and sometimes it can be because there is some health problem relating to the ovaries or another part of the reproduction organs. Therefore it is better to have her spayed sooner rather than later in case she has a problem.

My Milly was spayed very soon after her phantom pregnancy-literally days after she lost interest in her nest building activities!

Pippa was booked in to be spayed last Thursday but was having a phantom pregnancy. She isn't nest building or anything now, and I phoned the vet to update him on her yesterday, and she is going in next Thursday now. I don't think it's right to wait 3 months, as my vet said it's not uncommon for unsprayed does to have 4 or 5 phantom pregnancies a year, and if you wait 3 months she might be having another by then. Apparently to remove the uterine cancer risk completely, a doe does need to be spayed before 2, as any changes that could result in cancer will usually have occurred before the age of 2, so it sounds like it really is better to have it done sooner rather than later, and therefore 3 months sounds far too long to wait.

Rabbit's don't have set seasons so I can't think why he said 3 months - ask him :) I would say a week or two would make more sense.

Back