• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected snuffles- sneezing, snorting.. U/D white discharge now.Vets again tomorrow

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
Hi folks,

I am worried that my bun has a respiratory infection. He has been sneezing a few times a day for about 10 days now. At first, I thought it was maybe just a bit of dust or something and that it might pass but have decided to take him to vets now (booked in for tomorrow morning). I have also noticed, just yesterday, that he makes a honking noise when he is eating. He is to be neutered next month and has been very vocal and hormonal lately so I thought the honking might have been related to that but now I am worried that it's connected to his sneezing.

There is no discharge on his nose or paws, although once I did notice a small bit just after he sneezed.
My problem is, I'm not very confident that my vet is particularly rabbit savy, so I just wanted some advice on what I should ask for when I visit tomorrow or what treatment I should expect and maybe even rough costs. :(

Last edited:
Can you not find a more Rabbit savvy Vet ? If you post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for Vet recommendations in your area some of us may be able to help

A Veterinary examination for a case of a suspected RTI would include listening to the lungs and heart with a stethoscope, obtaining a full history of specific symptoms from owner, checking Rabbit's teeth and weight, abdominal examination, checking in ears, possibly taking Rabbit's temperature

All Vets set their own fees so you would need to ask what your Vet charges for a consultation then there would be the cost of any medication prescribed.

Thanks for the reply. I did post a while ago asking but got no responses so at moment I'm stuck with my vet unfortunately.

how far are you willing to travel? do you have a car? if i remember roghtly you are in Bromley? i know there is Trinity vets which is 30 mins from there. a few on here have seen Mark form there. havent been myself, just going from other threads.

Bromley yes. Willing to travel a little but hard for me to get time off work and OH is military so never around so locality is fairly important. Not that I'd compromise buns health., suppose I should take him tomorrow and see what the vet suggests first right?

Bromley yes. Willing to travel a little but hard for me to get time off work and OH is military so never around so locality is fairly important. Not that I'd compromise buns health., suppose I should take him tomorrow and see what the vet suggests first right?

You could but if you are not confident in their abilities and you feel they are 'rubbish' it seems a bit pointless

Is Maidstone too far away ?

I highly recommend Mark Rowlands at Trinity Vets

http://www.trinityvetcentre.co.uk/Trinity_Vet_Centre/Home.html

for now i would suggest that you take him to usual vet. the vet should listen to his chest and make sure his breathing is ok-possibly take temperature. With my snuffly bun, the treatment was first a course of antibiotics. it was called baytril although septrin is also sometimes used. That is usually the starting point for a respiritory infection. sometimes a culture is taken to determine what infection it is specifically. that just depends on what the vet feels is needed. charlies snuffles started out with a funny grunting when eating/cleaning and the odd sneeze so its definately better to get him checked rather than not. i will still keep an eye out for a rabbit vet for you and post if i find one. all the best:wave:

You could but if you are not confident in their abilities and you feel they are 'rubbish' it seems a bit pointless

Is Maidstone too far away ?

I highly recommend Mark Rowlands at Trinity Vets

http://www.trinityvetcentre.co.uk/Trinity_Vet_Centre/Home.html

I went to the vets and he said it could be allergy but gave me Baytril just in case.. Patrick took it ok first few days but now I feel like he hate me as he won't come near me at all and every day I go to syringe it gets harder and harder and more stressful even though I wrap him tightly in a towel he's started to hide and scratch me when I go to pick him up. I'm going to get some banana today and try to administer the meds that way but feel terrible he dislikes me so much! And he's still sneezing! :(

I'm going through the same with my bun at the moment. I'm def no expert but after nearly 3 weeks she's accepted I'm going to win and we have an understanding:lol:

I use a thin 1ml syringe which is easy to slip in the side of her mouth and I dip the end in kids fruit puree before each time I put the syringe in her mouth. Looking on here Baytril is the hardest antibiotic to get the buns to have as its really bitter, tastes vile, so mixing it with something helps us a lot.

Good luck, hope someone can help you with the sneezing...did your vet suggest what the allergy could be? I know if you use woodshavings they can cause allergic reactions in some bunnies, I was using a bale of hay but I ditched that when our sneezing/wheezing troubles started in favour of dust extracted hay, that didnt make a difference here but at least I'd ruled it out. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and the medicine taking gets easier. X

i had to use banana to give meds too- my buns lap it up! i find to make sure they get it all i get a small plate and only a liitle banana. i use a fork to squish the nana up then mix in the baytril. mine lick it clean off the plate!:wave:

oh and if it is an infection it may take a couple of weeks to show any significant improvemment

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried the banana thing this morning and he ate most of it. I've left it out so maybe when I get home from work he'll have finished it!! He is still sneezing a fair bit. I hadn't changed anything previous to his sneezes so I can't see what would have brought on an allergy, but I have removed shavings anyway and changed the hay. Fresh from the stables! One of my horses has COPD (has to have an inhaler and all sorts!) so has to have soaked hay and the other is prone to weight drop so has haylage.. which I assume would be too fatty for buns!
I still can't see any snot or anything. Really hoping it's not snuffles still :(

LainiT - I hope your bun gets better too! How much baytril is she on ?

We have a similar problem with Niles. He's got a wheeze when he is stressed & will grunt while he is eating. Occasionally he will have a clear discharge (when very stressed) & has sneezed a few times. He's been like it for months, maybe even years now. One (non rabbit savvy vet) said he seemed fine, discharge was clear, as was his chest. So don't worry about it. The rabbit savvy vet put him straight onto baytril (0.5ml a day) & it's not helped. In fact, he finds it so stressful that it's actually making him worse! The vet wants to do more tests & investigations, but I'm worried the stress will make him worse :(
I hope you get some answers soon, I will be watching this thread to see what comes of your vet visit :) x

Ellie has 3mls Baytril once a day. She's erm...I think 2.2kg and she's on the max dose. She's accepting it a lot easier now, when she first had to have it, after I'd given it to her she ran around the kitchen like a loony for about 30 seconds bless her, now the reaction isnt quite so extreme, she just stamps and runs off to hide, flicking her back paws at me :roll::lol:

The things we put our bunnies through eh!! Good luck, glad the banana worked, how much Baytril do you have to hide?

Ellie has 3mls Baytril once a day. She's erm...I think 2.2kg and she's on the max dose. She's accepting it a lot easier now, when she first had to have it, after I'd given it to her she ran around the kitchen like a loony for about 30 seconds bless her, now the reaction isnt quite so extreme, she just stamps and runs off to hide, flicking her back paws at me :roll::lol:

The things we put our bunnies through eh!! Good luck, glad the banana worked, how much Baytril do you have to hide?

Only 0.4mls daily and he's about 2kg. He's still sneezing loads :( *sigh*

Only 0.4mls daily and he's about 2kg. He's still sneezing loads :( *sigh*

Oh my goodness how can the dosages be so different?? Similar weight bunnies on such different doses? Maybe someone could shed some light on the subject...definitely not me cos I'm such a novice at all this.

How long have you got the Baytril for, I've had 3 or 4 short courses of different antibiotics which supressed her symptoms for a while but never cleared it fully. This time, a new vet gave me a 3 week course which she finishes in a couple of days, and like your bun she's still sneezing. Is there still no discharge from your bun's nose?

Oh my goodness how can the dosages be so different?? Similar weight bunnies on such different doses? Maybe someone could shed some light on the subject...definitely not me cos I'm such a novice at all this.

How long have you got the Baytril for, I've had 3 or 4 short courses of different antibiotics which supressed her symptoms for a while but never cleared it fully. This time, a new vet gave me a 3 week course which she finishes in a couple of days, and like your bun she's still sneezing. Is there still no discharge from your bun's nose?

Argh! I'm a complete novice too! MY last two buns never had anything wrong with them.
This is his first course. Been on it for about week and a half now.. made naff all difference. Still sneezing and honking , still no discharge what soever. Just worried that it's going to progress!

Back