• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis again??

janhm69

Young Bun
I am at my wits end as this morning, having been bouncing around for England yesterday, my bun is not eating, just lying down this morning. She has had no strange food or stress from anything. To make matters worse, I was supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow, which looks like will have to cancel though it is much needed by family. My bun had an episode of illeus/stasis out of the blue two months ago, can anyone shed any light on why this seems to have reoccurred??

Could it be her teeth? Have you tried tempting her with favourite foods/treats? How is her poo output? If she won't eat anything then she will need to see a vet for gut stimulant & pain relief.

Lots of vibes x

Could it be her teeth? Have you tried tempting her with favourite foods/treats? How is her poo output? If she won't eat anything then she will need to see a vet for gut stimulant & pain relief.

Lots of vibes x

She won't eat anything. She has been to her tray and produced some poos. I don't think its her teeth as she only had her injections two weeks ago and she was thoroughly checked out by the vet then. I am wondering why she has trouble with this.... if there is something else going on.

What type of foods does he/she have one of my bunnys was like this with spring greens broccoli etc so I had to stop giving any to her so now they only get fresh herbs daily :wave:

First time my bun had stasis he perked up a lot when I put him in a different room. Nosiness encouraged him to move about and this seemed to help. I should add that he did also see the vet for gut stimulant and pain relief, but it might be worth trying to get your bun to hop about.

Sending vibes. xx

First time my bun had stasis he perked up a lot when I put him in a different room. Nosiness encouraged him to move about and this seemed to help. I should add that he did also see the vet for gut stimulant and pain relief, but it might be worth trying to get your bun to hop about.

Sending vibes. xx

Thanks so much for the advice. Feeling a bit low as family was looking forward to holiday. Also worried that this bun might be prone to this. I only feed them herbs now since the last episode, just in case. Thanks for all the advice. I have some fibreplex handy so will do this later if she still hasn't eaten and of course vet, but my usual one is closed today.

Sorry to hear this and sending lots of vibes.

Sometimes problems with teeth can't be detected whilst the bun is awake so they may need a GA / X ray.

One of our buns would go into stasis if they had too much of gassy vegetables such as brocolli. However Harley kept going into statsis two years ago every few months. The vets took bloods and did a full body x ray. Unfortunately neither showed anything up, however we changed the hay to a better quality one from the hay experts and put him on a measured amount of excel pellets (approx 40g a day) and bought him an indoor puppy pen which wasmuch larger than his indoor hutch. The extra space / ability to exercise did seem to help.

sorry I can't be of any more use. xxx

Sorry to hear this and sending lots of vibes.

Sometimes problems with teeth can't be detected whilst the bun is awake so they may need a GA / X ray.

One of our buns would go into stasis if they had too much of gassy vegetables such as brocolli. However Harley kept going into statsis two years ago every few months. The vets took bloods and did a full body x ray. Unfortunately neither showed anything up, however we changed the hay to a better quality one from the hay experts and put him on a measured amount of excel pellets (approx 40g a day) and bought him an indoor puppy pen which wasmuch larger than his indoor hutch. The extra space / ability to exercise did seem to help.

sorry I can't be of any more use. xxx

Thank you for the reply, it is good to hear other experiences of this. My bun is indoors, has a large area to hop around and I think, really good diet. Hays (variety) from hay experts, excel pellets and herbs. I stopped things like broccolli after the last episode, just in case. Maybe it is teeth, I'm going to ask the vet to really check her out as I feel need to get to the bottom of it. I know it is silly but I worried myself sick when she had it the last time.

Both my bunnies have just been through this,and are now doing well(touches wood!) I have put it down to moulting, both were checked out at vets and eating within 12hours ;)

Both my bunnies have just been through this,and are now doing well(touches wood!) I have put it down to moulting, both were checked out at vets and eating within 12hours ;)

Thanks for the reply. I hope mine will recover as quickly. Last time she had several injections at the vets and pain relief. Then I was syringe feeding her for about a week also. Was really stressful as bun obviously really hated the syringe feeding but my vet had given me stuff to get down her (antibiotics, painkiller drops etc) 3x a day.

Hi Just read this thread and really really feel for you as its worrying enough to leave them to go on our holidays and then something like this happens. Whenever mine have had bouts of stasis I always find a homemade vegetable soup helps no end along with the usual meds like fibre plex and pro c probiotics. Boil up some vegetables like cabbage, carrot, celery and parsley. Liquidize and then allow to cool before syringe feeding. Really hope this helps you out. There are lots more tips on Gi Stasis on this website if it helps xx
http://best4bunny.com/bunny-care/health-and-mot/

Hi Just read this thread and really really feel for you as its worrying enough to leave them to go on our holidays and then something like this happens. Whenever mine have had bouts of stasis I always find a homemade vegetable soup helps no end along with the usual meds like fibre plex and pro c probiotics. Boil up some vegetables like cabbage, carrot, celery and parsley. Liquidize and then allow to cool before syringe feeding. Really hope this helps you out. There are lots more tips on Gi Stasis on this website if it helps xx
http://best4bunny.com/bunny-care/health-and-mot/

Thanks for your help. I am pretty neurotic about going away as worry about them. Holiday on hold for now BUT, I gave my bun some fibreplex earlier and she has since eaten and pooed several times normally. So I am at least relieved that her guts have not stopped! I have really appreciated all the advice this afternoon.

Back