• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milo's got a bladder stone :(

kez

Warren Scout
So as it says in the title my nearly 7 year old bunny had got a bladder stone :( he's had a few problems in the past,straining to urinate and getting a very wet bottom so yesterday my vet did an X-ray and there's a bladder stone.My vet has told me the options which were leave him but then the stone could move and cause a blockage which would mean he couldn't wee then he will die anyway(this is not an option I would consider anyway) or put him thru surgery which my vet said is a major risk in an older bunny. I love this rabbit to pieces at the moment he still seems happy he's eating and moving about but obviously something needs to be done. I know the surgery is 50/50 but I don't think I could just have him put to sleep without trying the surgery. Has anyone had an older rabbit go thru this surgery and how did it go? It's all such a big worry :(

I had an 11 year old Doe who had surgery to remove a huge bladder stone. She recovered well and lived for another 2 years.

Did the Vet say if your Rabbit's Kidneys were free of stones and has his kidney function been checked via a blood test ?

His kidneys are fine no stones at all,he's not had a kidney function check yet, I honestly feel like I have to give him the chance,if I loose him under anesethic at least I will know I tried and did every thing I could for him. He's had a few dentals in his life and usually goes around every 3 months to have his molars filed down but he seems such a tough bunny and has alot of fight in him.

It's been known for rabbits to live to double his age, if he's otherwise fit and healthy then I absolutely think you should go for it. Is your vet rabbit savvy? If you think your bunny's a fighter and has got a really good chance at pulling through and your vet thinks there's a 50% chance your rabbit will die when he operates, it might be worth finding a more confident vet?

my vet is normally really good with rabbits, he said if milo was 2 he wouldnt have any hesitations operating but because hes nearly 7 he thinks it will be more risky and said it would be a major op :?

My bunny Banjo was diagnosed with bladder (and untreatable kidney) stones at 5/6 and had 3 surgeries to remove huge stones. He recovered every time, though he had trouble with adhesions (?) inside because of repeated surgery. Hopefully with your bun it will be a one off surgery. I'd go for it, I know it's a big op but with a good vet i'd want to go ahead :)

Thanks for all the replies,my heart tells me I should at least give surgery a go,he's had quite a few dentals in the last few years at first he was going every month but now it's more 2-3 months,other than his teeth and now his bladder stone he still seems happy and is eating very well. I can't give up on him just yet.

Back