• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant Rabbit, advice needed please.

Hales1092

Warren Scout
Hi there,

My lovely 2 year old Giant Continental rabbit recently got into introduced to a buck, and of course they hit it off. This wasn't intentional as we were told she had been spayed just before we got her. She's about a week off her due date, so i was looking for advice. I already have the spare room set up for her so she can make a nest, which she has started to do. I just need some advice on caring for her whilst she has the babies, and when they're born. I've had rabbits for years, but this is the first time i've had babies to deal with.

Please get back to me :)

BELs5W2CAAANZCKjpg-large_zps9788d15a.jpeg

BEDhLP4CcAAZU12jpg-large_zps2c5a9467.jpeg

Last edited:
have you got a good rabbit savy vet with 24 hour emergency cover? if not make sure you find one QUICKLY. and make sure you have a full credit card ready if need be. If you have got a good vet then get in touch with them now and make sure they are aware of your rabbits condition and ask them what the procedure should be if anything untoward appears to be happening.

sorry if that sounds negative- she is a beautiful rabbit and I really hope everything goes smoothly and well for her but it pays to be prepared- particulary as she is a bit older then ideal for a first litter. good luck and I hope all is well.

Forgot to mention, this is the second litter of kits. She successfully had 10 kits and everything went perfectly first time around. I adopted her from a lady shortly after all her kits had gone to forever homes, as the lady could no longer look after her.

I have a vet living about a 5 minute walk from my house, so she pops around every week to check on Amber and everything is fine so far. So i've tried to cover every aspect revolving around her health. Just need to know if there is anything else i can do :)

As soon as our local vet told us, she was infact expecting babies we took the buck away immediately. I've also tried to contact her original owner, but of course she will not answer. As i was told she was definitely spayed and gave me a 'fake' certificate to certify this. Which i rung the number on the certificate to make sure, and they qualified what the original owner said. So i am very annoyed at the mistrust of this. As i know she is a little too old now, and i didn't want her to become pregnant, just have an easy life.

I know not everyone would agree, but is there no chance of an emergency spay and termination?

Thank you for the advice, but i don't want to cause her more stress in any way, which is why i get someone to the house so i don't have to move her. I know pregnancy at her age for her breed, is not ideal, but in this instance it couldn't be helped on my part. So i am just trying to help her in any way i can.

i thin the best thing to do is to have a look at the threads mentioned.but it sounds like the vet is being very attentive which is good :thumb: it may have problems but just be positive for now-she looks very relaxed and thats the main thing. my aunties bunny had a litter at that age and the babies were fine. The mum had a slight infection in the milk glands but she recovered well. i wish you all the best with her and the littleuns whatever the outcome! :wave:

Thank you, i am reading all the threads mentioned now. Just want to know as much information as i can, I've even booked 2 weeks off work so i can make sure someone is here if she needs a vet to come out. But she is very relaxed and isn't showing any signs of stress :)

I have no info for you, but OMG your bunny is Gorgeous!!!! What a beautiful girl! :love::love::love:

I hope everything goes well, please keep us informed of how things go.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa. She is a gorgeous girly and her personality matches. Never been so in love with a rabbit before :love:

And i will post as soon as things get moving with the birth, i'll keep you updated :wave:

He was booked in to be neutered, but as everything happened and unfolded. The male is now at my boyfriends parents, and is going to be staying there. As he is very happy with the cat, he's being neutered next week i believe. Amber is being spayed when she can and then they may be re-bonded later on in the year.

The bun is another giant Conti, opal blue :) and there is 8 kits! My phones broken so I can't get any pictures up of the kits. But I'll post a picture of the daddy later :love:

Back