• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE READ-My Rabbit has a scab on inside of ear that's made a hole!!

Ezleanne

New Kit
Hi, I am quite worried. My rabbit has not been in a fight but When I picked him up today I noticed he has quite a red hard scab on the inside of his ear, not deep inside the ear but on the part that stands up. About half the size of a 5 pence piece. There was also a smaller slightly dryer looking scab about a cm above it. When I touched the top one to see if it was hard & it came away and left a clean cut round hole in my bunnys ear!!!! I was really freaked out by it.....the hole goes right the way through his ear!! I didn't touch the other after this as its slightly bigger and don't want my bunny to have another hole :-0 Does anyone know what these scabs are and why one has left a hole? It doesn't look infected :-/ Quite dry scabs. And is it better for them to fall off? Will the hole heal up??
Please any advice tonight would be great to put my mind at ease a bit until I take him to my vets tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have no idea but don't want to read and run. Could he have scratched too hard? Not sure why that's created a hole but it is possible. I hope everything is ok at the vets tomorrow

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if he's scratched it, it doesn't look like an abscess or anything to me as the scabs are very irregular in shape :-/ He possibly could have done I suppose. Just wondered if anyone's bunny has had an illness or infection that caused scabs that left a hole??? It's really strange and I've not heard of it before. I shall find out tomorrow for deffinate. Thanks

My french lop had this and it was a bad infestation of ear mites shortly after I took him on, so he came with them. He just needed ear drops, and the scabs had to be wiped with baby oil to soften and remove them.

If it is mites (your vet will confirm) it is best to treat both rabbits just in case. Hope that is all it is and is easily sorted.

It looks like an injury, rather than mites, and whatever caused it went through the ear. It looks like it's healing but it may leave the hole if the edges have healed. A bite wound would be the most common cause but he could have caught it on something.

I've just looked at your pics and to me it looks like it has caught on something. The scabs on Buster's ears from mites were much darker and on the surface only.

Obviously I'd be happier if he had nothing wrong, but I'm kind of hoping he has just caught it on something, as mites sound awful from what I've read :? I hate the thought of an infestation :(
He hasn't been with another bun since ive had him and I did give him a good check over when I got him, his ears were fine then. So I'm not sure what he could have caught it on (suppose it could be anything though!). I've just read that mites start deep down the ear canal and only reach the ear flaps in the later stages when there are usually crusts noticeably coming out of the ear, so that's a good sign because Charlie has nothing like that, both ear canals are clear. I'm so dying to get to the vet, find out and get it sorted. On looking again at the tip of his ear flap on the affected ear, the skin does look a bit dry and slightly flaky, hardly noticeable, just tiny flakes. Hmmm......

It looks like an injury to me, but I have no experience of mites. Could there be a bit of wire mesh on the housing somewhere sticking out? Hope it's nothing serious xx

It probably looks much scarier than it is :) I imagine the vet is going to take a look, say it's healing okay and possibly prescribe some baytril (antibiotic) as a precaution. They usually heal up pretty quick so in a week it will be almost invisible and the little hold shouldn't cause any future bother.

Back