• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One Lonely Bunny. RIP Gizmo :(

gizmobunny

Young Bun
Hi all,

A week or so ago i came here to ask for advice ref Gizmo out netherland Dwarf, sadly tonight he passed away. He was so active this morning running around like he never has for weeks! We thought he was better. Sadly when we went to check on him a short while later, he was lying down, unusual for him. Then within minutes of us arriving he took his last few breaths, then stopped with all of us including Honey (his wife!) there. She was confused/sad and just Flopped herself right over him and lay on him licking him and grooming, then nudging him to move :( We were gutted.

Thank you for your help and i have one last question....whats best for Honey? She has only ever been with someone, and now will get lonely? Best to keep her as she is? Not disturb her routine?

many thanks :(

I'm so sorry you lost Gizmo.:cry:

Honey would probably be happier with another partner - perhaps approach a rescue and see if they could bond her with a neutered male.

Very sorry you have lost your Gizmo, its always a terrible shock. :cry: Keep everything the same for Honey and when its time you might consider a new companion. I know its very hard to even think about, as we grieve much longer. I hope you and Honey will be alright.

I am so sorry, I hope Honey will be OK. Keep a close eye on her and make sure that she is eating and pooping OK as they do grieve. When and if you feel it is the right time you can look for a new husbun for her. I have had 2 where I got partners a week or so later because they were stressing without someone.

Sorry to hear this, binky free Gizmo.

As for Honey, keep a close eye on her, one of our buns actually lives in a big pen at the bottom of the bed and he loves the movement and company.

Awww, I'm so sorry. Binkie free Gizmo.:cry:

Poor Honey, so sad for her too. As everyone else has said, keep an eye on her. I thought that my widow bun was ok after her partner died, since she carried on eating normally for nearly a month afterwards, then suddenly I think it hit her that he really wasn't coming back and she just went downhill very quickly, moping and stopped eating. She now has a new partner she adores and is happy again.

Fingers crossed that Honey copes as well as possible.

Hugs to you humans too. x

Back