• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded for a week

Hi

My two bunnies have been bonded for a week as it didn't take long to bond them. I put them together in the same cage and when I came back from school there was a huge clump of fur on the floor but I don't know who it is off . And the female seems to be spraying?? Any help

To me, it doesn't sound as though they are bonded.

It is dangerous to just put two rabbits in together and leave them unsupervised - it can result in serious injury or death.

I apologise if I've misunderstood what you meant.

Are they both neutered?

To me, it doesn't sound as though they are bonded.

It is dangerous to just put two rabbits in together and leave them unsupervised - it can result in serious injury or death.

I apologise if I've misunderstood what you meant.

Are they both neutered?

I meant someone RSPCA bonded them for me and I took them home and put them in there hutch and left them to get on with it and in the morning there was a clump of fur in the bedroom area but I can tell which rabbit it is off..

The male is neutered but the female isn't as I Havnt got the money to spay her yet

I meant someone RSPCA bonded them for me and I took them home and put them in there hutch and left them to get on with it and in the morning there was a clump of fur in the bedroom area but I can tell which rabbit it is off..

The male is neutered but the female isn't as I Havnt got the money to spay her yet

I'm disappointed if the RSPCA rehomed an un neutered bunny to you, as I thought it was their policy to neuter all rabbits (may be wrong but that was my understanding).

How long were they at the centre being bonded?

I would keep a VERY close eye on them until the female is spayed, as the fact that one of them is not neutered means the bond could be unstable. If they fight or there is excessive mounting and chasing you may have to separate them. Can you contact the RSPCA that you adopted from and ask for advice? You will need to get the female spayed ASAP.

Eta, there are also considerations for when the girl is spayed, as she will need time to recover, likely away from her partner.

Last edited:
This should never have happened.

The RSPCA know that females need to spayed, not only to allow them to be bonded to a neutered male but because of the very high incidence of uterine cancer in unspayed females.

For them to not have her spayed before attempting to bond and knowing that you could not afford to do it is completely irresponsible.

I would advise you to contact the RSPCA for further advice/help with this situation.

Have they both had their vaccinations?

Unfortunately, rabbits are expensive animals to keep and look after properly - with annual routine vaccination boosters costing anything between £30-£40 each, let alone any other veterinary care they may need if they are ill - and I feel that these things should have been explained to you.

Do they have a large run attached to their hutch so they have permanent access to it?

Last edited:
The OP hasn't said if the female was their existing rabbit so may not have been up to the RSPCA to actually carry that out. However even if the female was their own, in my opinion, the RSPCA should not have rehomed where the existing rabbit was not neutered and where the owner could not afford to do it.

Thebinkybunny, can you tell us which of the bunnies you adopted or was it both or were both your own and you just got someone who happens to work for the RSPCA to bond them as a favour.

Sadly your bunnies are unlikely to remain friends if one is not neutered so I would, seperate them until you have got your female neutered. Failing that, I would probably return the bunny you adopted (if you adopted either) until the rabbit in question is spayed and can be rebonded.

Me too, sorry OP, I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

I know we both feel bad that we made assumptions! On the other hand, however, the RSPCA should not have attempted to bond a rabbit who was not neutered - be it the OPs rabbit or one of theirs.

I didn't get her from the RSPCA I got her from a women who didn't want her any more .. I have separated them until I get her spayed next week then will try bonding again and thanks for all the advice

The OP hasn't said if the female was their existing rabbit so may not have been up to the RSPCA to actually carry that out. However even if the female was their own, in my opinion, the RSPCA should not have rehomed where the existing rabbit was not neutered and where the owner could not afford to do it.

Thebinkybunny, can you tell us which of the bunnies you adopted or was it both or were both your own and you just got someone who happens to work for the RSPCA to bond them as a favour.

Sadly your bunnies are unlikely to remain friends if one is not neutered so I would, seperate them until you have got your female neutered. Failing that, I would probably return the bunny you adopted (if you adopted either) until the rabbit in question is spayed and can be rebonded.

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly my mums friend works for the RSPCA and she did it as a favour like I said I have booked my female in to be spayed and I have separated them until she has been spayed ad she has recovered

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly my mums friend works for the RSPCA and she did it as a favour like I said I have booked my female in to be spayed and I have separated them until she has been spayed ad she has recovered

Sounds like the best way forward. :thumb:

I hope you have lots of success when she's done. I think that it will make life much easier for you with their friendship.

Keep us all posted with how it works out - we'll send lots of positive thoughts for a good bond :)

Back